cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usenet

N/A

usenet

Hi, today i set up to DL using usenet but am getting awfull speeds about 12kb/s i do a line speed test and get 1950ish I rarely DL anything so hav'nt gone over my limit and havn't recieved an Email telling me i have....

I use a router but i have unplugged it and used an USB modem and still will not go above 12kb/s so i thought it might be my PC so i tried on my wife's Laptop same problem.....

All firewalls have been disabled.....

Anyone out there offer me any advice before i throw this pc out the windowHuh?

Thanks Smiley
7 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

usenet

What sort of account do you have?

What news client are you using?

How many connections have you allowed?

Which server are you connecting to?
N/A

usenet

What sort of account do you have? newzbin

What news client are you using? Giganews

How many connections have you allowed? max of 10 using 10

Which server are you connecting to? news-europe.giganews.com but have also tried news.giganews.com
N/A

usenet

What sort of account do you have?

Not wishing to second guess Ben, but I would imagine he meant which type of Plus Net adsl account you have.
N/A

usenet

Ahh soz PlusNet Broadband Plus - Up to 4Mb
N/A

usenet

That would explain it then, Plus accounts aren't for that sort of protocol really.
Community Veteran

usenet

P2P on broadband plus is heavily speed limited once you go over 10GB of data during the peak time (upto 2mb have a 5GB allowance, upto 8Mbs have a 15GB allowance), so if you have exceeded this in VMBU then your speeds will be very slow, and get slower the more you download.

BB Plus should not be used for heavy downloading via P2P/Usenet/FTP as the product description states. See this for details.
N/A

usenet

I have used 6.84 gigs this month 3 gigs of that was yesterday and today on a awful connection.........any other ideas?? Cry