cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb modem or ethernet router

N/A

usb modem or ethernet router

Whats the pros and cons of using a modem vs a router for ADSL?

I'll be using it home on a single PC, however i do have it networked with another PC via hub.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: usb modem or ethernet router

> Whats the pros and cons of using a modem vs a router for ADSL?
>
> I'll be using it home on a single PC, however i do have it networked with another PC via hub.

Hi Spencer,

One of the main benefits of a router is that if you want to leave the connection up you don't have to have the PC with the modem on all the time. Most routers will allow you to setup port forwarding as well whereas you may not be able to do this with a modem dependent on your OS. I'm sure some of our other customers will have their own views on this too.

--
Regards,
Robert

| Robert Kelly........................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support...........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...............http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----------

N/A

Sorry but you've lost me with that reason about the router - it keeps the ADSL connection connected after the PC is switch off?? whats that good for?Huh
benoh
Grafter

> Sorry but you've lost me with that reason about the router - it keeps the ADSL connection connected after the PC is switch off?? whats that good for??

If you wanted 2 PCs networked with a modem, the modem would plug into 1 PC which would need to be on for the second PC to access the internet.

With a router, this handles the connection and plugs directly into your hub, now any PC can access the internet independantly of the others.

Ben
Network Support Analyst
PlusNet Technologies.
N/A

> If you wanted 2 PCs networked with a modem, the modem would plug into 1 PC which would need to be on for the second PC to access the internet.
This is the same setup i am using except its wireless lan it works very nice with the Speedtouch Pro Adsl Ethernet router from Dslsource.
He He by the way it looks like im the first person who has exceeded the 20 hrs fair usage on Adsl, i got a warning email!!!!
It was a mistake thank god, nearly peee'd my pants Smiley
pgudge
Grafter

> Whats the pros and cons of using a modem vs a router for ADSL?
>
> I'll be using it home on a single PC, however i do have it networked with another PC via hub.

The Pros and Cons for such a situation could go on for pages and pages.

A few simple things.

Pro's
Modem
-----
1. Cheaper than a Router
2. Directly connected to the internet

Router
------
1. Multiple connections (PC) just connect to Hub/Switch, or builtin hub.
2. Firewall
3. NO DRIVERS

Con's
Modem
-----
1. DRIVERS (you have to install drivers for the modem, and NO driver is perfect)
2. If the machine (PC) with the modem on has to restart, all other computers using the internet through ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) will loose connection to the internet
3. ICS, the built in sharing with some OS's (WinMe, 2k, XP) isn't as good as using a router/hub/switch. You sometimes have to install third party software too. As with a Router you just setup the gateway to your router, and thats it, Internet.

They are the main pro's and con's

Hope that helped

Paul Goodyear
N/A

I certainly wouldnt say an advantage of a router is the firewall, it is the biggest pain in the butt.
Admittadly I use a 801 ISDN router, but I cannot, nor can others on cisco newsgroups get it to allow videoconferencing both ways, it will not allow transmission due to the way the ip address is distruibuted through the 7 layers.
Its the cisco IOS, the latest, unbelievable really, all the ip nat on still does not work
pgudge
Grafter

> I certainly wouldnt say an advantage of a router is the firewall, it is the biggest pain in the butt.

We obviously differ in opinion then, I'd put a software firewall in the same leauge as installing Win98 on a PC, You just shouldn't do it.

If you have/get a decent Router then all Port Forwarding can get round your issues of not being able to connect to your machine on your side of the router.

And your PC is not open to software opening ports and leaving a big hole in your security, as if Windows doesn't do this anyway.