Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage amounts for broadband?

newinvention
Grafter

Hi!

I'm finally up and running on Broadband (Teleworker) after being on Plusnet's Connect Biz Lite for 3 years or so (using ISDN), so am acclimitizing myself to the new setup.

I was quite horrified to see the View My Usage bar just now - it says I've used nearly 1/4 of my monthly allocation of 1GB in 24 hours!!!!!! I haven't been gaming or downloading huge files in the last 24 hours. Does this seem right? Do most people end up using extra GB?

Even the Small Business a/c only seems to have a 1GB limit which in the circumstances seems pretty tiny. When I looked at the Business package it didn't specify the usage for that?

Also, since I'm going to be paying for this package annually, how will Plusnet charge me for the extra GB used?

I suppose I should be posting a contact us ticket, but having got 3 tickets there open (still) from yesterday it may not be a good idea.

I don't really want to be worried about the extra usage - I have never had my usage 'measured' in such a way before, so this is a bit of a shock.

Anyone have any tips? I don't really wish to upgrade to the £35+month job.

I heard that Tiscali have launched a telephone/broadband package for £19.99 month which includes **unlimited** BB use and free UK landline calls (ex the usual 0845s).

Thanks!
Sarah
13 REPLIES
Discostoo
Grafter

I'm on 2MB Premier £21.99 a month and (fingers crossed) my limits are 30GB peak-time and 100GB overall. This is enough for me at present. although when multicasting and HDTV becomes the norm soon, and my account is upgraded to 4 or 8 or god willing 24MB, then those limits would be used up very quickly...if you havent been downloading or gaming then 1GB does seem excessive, but your PC might have been downloading updates, or all sorts so there are many variables that could affect the Usage...

95% of Plusnets users use about 5GB a month i believe although if i'm wrong there are many people here who will put me right.

hope that helps...Smiley
N/A

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the world of ADSL. Smiley

I suppose like most new things, you will tend to use your ADSL connection a bit more than maybe you might have done on dial up. As such, your usage may be higher for the first while.

Once the novelty has worn off it may stabilise.

I take it you are on the Teleworker £13.61(ex vat) package, with 1 GB included.

If you add a debit or credit card to your account then you can pre pay additional GB at £1 per GB or have them charged at £1.25 per GB post use.

I would suggest that you monitor your usage over the course of the month and see how it will level out. If you prepay for 5GB per month at £17.01 (ex vat) your still getting a fair bit for a reasonable price.

Keep an eye on your usage and check out the options.
newinvention
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies!

Where on this portal can I find more details about usage and how you pay for it? I had no idea you could prepay.

Currently, the Teleworker package I'm on is £24.99 (up to 2mb, though I can only receive 1 here .... doh), so that's a lot more than the £13 package you quote PCSNI ...?

DiscoStoo - I am more confused! How is it you're paying less a month than I am (not sure about VAT), but getting x30 more limitsHuh

Please let me get my head around this thing!

Thanks!
Sarah
N/A

Hi,

disco's on a residential account, which, like me, as a business user, is not an option for you.

Could you do me a favour, just so as I know where we are, from the member centre links on the left of the page, can you click the Account Details link and then the Account summary icon and post the details of your account description?
N/A

sarah

If your looking at the usage meter and its showing 1GB at the right this is ok.
It is now however your allocated limit.

When you reach 1Gb it will automatically expand to 2, then 3 then 4 and so on. Its just the way the usage meter works

Teleworker @ £24 iirc doesnt have any limits as such. As long as you dont abuse the product using hundreds of GB /month you'll have no bother.

Hope this clears things up for you.
N/A

Re: usage amounts for broadband?

I heard that Tiscali have launched a telephone/broadband package for £19.99 month which includes **unlimited** BB use and free UK landline calls (ex the usual 0845s).

The tiscali products are not **unlimited** they have one of those FUP/AUP/SUP/WhateverUP on their accounts, just unlike PN they don't feel there is any need to tell customers about this fact, very much like TalkTalk who are exactly the same, except there their FUP says not to download "too much" basically but they will never define "too much".
N/A

Re: usage amounts for broadband?

The tiscali products are not **unlimited** they have one of those FUP/AUP/SUP/WhateverUP on their accounts, just unlike PN they don't feel there is any need to tell customers about this fact, very much like TalkTalk who are exactly the same, except there their FUP says not to download "too much" basically but they will never define "too much".

Indeed. Listening to RealRadio online the other night and the advert comes on for Tiscali with the word unlimited heavily stressed and appearing throughout, only for the "fast talker" at the end to state "termsandconditionsapplysubjecttoavailabilityandfairusepolicy" in about .000002 of a nanosecond.

All potential customers will hear is "Unlimited". Plain Wrong!
newinvention
Grafter

Hia everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

PSCNI: the account details are as follows: PlusNet TeleWorker Premier - Up to 2Mb (Annual Contract, Hardware Offer). Is this what you are after?

srae88: why on earth isn't the view my usage graph made clearer then? I thought I had a 1 GB limit and was beginning to research other ISPs! When I tried to check this and went to Business>broadband>teleworker on this portal, the product usage/specification only stipulates 1GB - though looking closer it does mention this in the same breath as PAYG a/c, which is not what I have. Are Plusnet being deliberately cloak and dagger about this?

Additionally, what do you feel about the free modem (P&P £5.99) being received 48 hours after line activation? Is this normal?

Many thanks to everyone!

Sarah
N/A

Hi Sarah,

As you are on the Teleworker Premier account you are not subject to any caps or limits. As such the perceived 1Gb limit is not applicable. That applies only to PAYG products.

As for the VMBU it is simply a means of viewing your usage and does not imply a limit or cap. That aspect is dealt with in the product spec.

As for the modem delivery. This is normally dispatched once BT tell Plus Net that your line has been activated. BT can sometimes be a bit slow at notifying ISP's hence the slight delay in getting your modem.

As a business customer can I just remind you of the Plus Net UserGroup forum specially for business customers. We'd be glad to hear your feedback on your experience with Plus Net.
Link
N/A

I suspect one of the reasons for the vmbu expandig like it does as different people use different lmits. and hence at some point or another it will need to expand.

The business product pages need to be cleaned up a bit. Having alook at them they seem to show the basic product but u have to dig a bit to get the teleworker premier account etc.

Maybe the usergroup could raise this and maybe get that page cleaned up a bit.

Not really sure about the VMBU. if you know the product spec then it doesnt really matter much but it is alittle misleading
N/A

Maybe the usergroup could raise this and maybe get that page cleaned up a bit.

I am hoping to see a business product refresh soon, perhaps when that comes round we will see a bit of simplification and standardisation.

The UG are onto it and keeping an eye on the future with regard to Business products. Wink

As mentioned previously, thoughts and feedback would be most welcome on the UG boards.
hitachi
Grafter

Is the business vmbu different to the domestic one?
On my vmbu it says "The figure displayed at the higher end of the scale is an indication of how much data transfer you have used. If you use more data transfer this figure will automatically increase."
N/A

No you are spot on. The text for the business VMBU is the same as the residential products. Good point.