cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unusually slow connectivity lately

N/A

Hi i'm experiencing unsually low connectivity averaging just 130 kbps over last few days is this a PC issue ? if so what can i do to speed up my connection ?
thanx in advance
8 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

What sort of speed do you get on a BT Speed Test?
N/A

hi

1292 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

which is alot faster than through plusnet!
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Are you seeing slow speeds through us at all times of day, or only during certain times? Similarly, what types of traffic are you trying to use when you see slow speeds?

As for the BT speed checker, what resutls do you get if you run it during the night, between the hours of midnight and seven am?
N/A

the last week its been through day and night i havent run bt test at night but can only think it be around the same there a major difference in speed from 130 kbps on plusnet speed test which has been conducted numerous times and bts test of 1190 kbps ! could this be an exchange issue as im sure i have come to the conclusion its not a pc related issue or hardware issue !

im conducting own tests by downloading from the microsoft website which should show pretty good download speeds but getting max 15kb/s whereas i usually get around 230 kb/s

thanks
N/A

dam why dont you just tell the guy. you have been throtteld by PN. They always give you the run around hardware, BT Speed test, fuck you around first before letting you know something they never told anyone (except the handful of users who downloaded a certain amount of data 2 months before this came into effect) . READ -> http://adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2397

it may not be this but i would wager it is.
PN is turning into a ISp to web browsing and e-mails and thats about it.
If you like to stream stuff or download i would jump ship and go to another ISP that tells customers when they change their entire policy which effects their users in such a way.
N/A

My connection has been really slow recently too. P2P traffic seems to capped at 7kb/s which is the maximum speed I'm getting. I also found it strange that accessing http://www.easynews.com being painfully slow and by coincidence http://www.giganews.com is slow as well!

I shouldn't have any reason to suspect that PN has anything behind this but with the way things have been going recently, I wouldn't be surprised if PN delibrately limited my access to certain websites without telling me.
N/A

Back in August 2005, PlusNet sent out letters to small number of its user-base warning them about using a contended service in a manner which PlusNet felt negatively impacting on the service of others. At this time, one concern raised by PlusNet customers was the finer detail (i.e. figures), that defined what PlusNet considered reasonable usage. Now PlusNet has a published Sustainable Usage Policy, which can be found here.

This policy affects users on the following PlusNet products, Broadband Premier up to 2Mb, 4Mb and 8Mb, ADSL Home, Broadband Home, Broadband EasyStart. The vast majority of PlusNet customers on the Premier range though have usage levels well below even the first warning email.

Product
Warning email
Peak-time management
24/7 management

Premier up to 2Mbps 100GB usage (anytime)
OR
30GB peak-time usage 100GB usage (anytime)
AND
30GB peak-time usage 150GB usage (anytime)
AND
30GB peak-time usage
Premier up to 4Mbps 150GB usage (anytime)
OR
45GB peak-time usage 150GB usage (anytime)
AND
45GB peak-time usage 225GB usage (anytime)
AND
45GB peak-time usage
Premier up to 8Mbps 200GB usage (anytime)
OR 60GB peak-time usage 200GB usage (anytime)
AND 60GB peak-time usage 300GB usage (anytime)
AND 60GB peak-time usage
Action on customer's service Warning email sent Peak-time management period 24/7 management applied

Peak-time is currently defined as 4pm to 12am (midnight). The definition of peak-time and bandwidth values are subject to change as usage patterns alter.

The three levels of action mean that if you do manage to spend weeks tied to your broadband connection, that so long as this is a rare occurrence nothing too drastic should happen. You are allowed two warning emails, warning you of exceeding the limits, and on the third occasion, the peak-time management is applied, if the peak time management limits are exceeded twice in a six month period you are then moved to a 24/7 management profile. In this final case the options are upgrading to a more expensive product with PlusNet or moving to another provider.

can anyone at plusnet explain this and why i wasnt told when signing up of this trash! and can someone confirm from plusnet this is why my speeds are slower than dial-up!

rubbish service rubbish ISP
JonathanW
Grafter

im conducting own tests by downloading from the microsoft website which should show pretty good download speeds but getting max 15kb/s whereas i usually get around 230 kb/s

thanks

Hi,

If you're only getting half of the speed that you usually get, and your BT Speed Checker results are showing 1190 kbps, which is about 120KB/s, then its possibly an issue at your exchange causing these slow speeds. Though unless your speeds drop further it isn't possible to report it to BT, as they say that anything faster than 400kbps is working within specifcation for a 2mb line.