cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ukbrown banned from posting

N/A

My Son in law, who referred me to Force9 as being a very good and customer focused ISP has been banned from posting in the Forums.

Is this the normal policy ?Huh
29 REPLIES
N/A

Admittedly he has been quite vocal in his postings the last few days, but nothing I can see that would lead to being banned. (And after all, haven't we all sounded off at sometime?) The very nature of this forum is F9 feedback and with F9 behaving as they are at the moment, can they expect to be "praised to the heavens"? I think not and the appropriate "feedback" is being left..

Did he get any warnings from moderators or CS before being banned or was it after the weekend's round of posts? It could possibly be because he posted the same thing in multiple threads which the mods don't like much.

Some "feedback" on this would be good!!

Regards

Mark

P.S. I could suggest he posts on either ADSL guide forums or plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup unitl/ if he regains posting privileges. F9 mods have no authority on either of those.
N/A

thats f9 all over at the moment, after being with f9 for some time and having thought they were a great company, sadly i think f9 has become a joke, slow service, fup peak limits with no monitors, and poorly executed changes to service. He is not the first to get banned for being vocal about the poorly executed changes and from what i have read others have even had their accounts terminated by f9. anyway im off to zen im just about to get my mac code and join a serious isp. whats the point in arguing with f9 they clearly do not want downloaders who download large amounts of data.if you are a weekend user join f9, if you want 24/7 unlimited service join another isp. vote with your wallet and walk!
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

In response to the above questions in your postings, It wasnt so much that ukbrown was souding off of course users should be & are allowed to sound off. I have done it myself many a time, that wasnt so much the problem it was more that the postings became mutiple postings (almost spamming) and the tone deteriorated and one of our experienced Moderators did actually take offence and he felt one posting in particular breeched forum guidelines and so it looks like the ban may only be temporary anyway.

Ivan.
N/A

Thanks for that Ivan

The big issue though is whether he was warned about the tone/ multi posting or was the ban just implemented after the "post in question", I think I know which one as I asked about it last night. That said, if it was that post, an F9 CS employee also commented on it but did not see fit for either the post to be edited or for him to place the ban on the poster.

I realise moderators are there to moderate, but could this just have been a case of heavy handedness?

Regards

Mark
N/A

Hi Mark,

No! I understand your point & the concerns that raises. But when a user is gently warned by one of the moderators to politely refrain from posts of this insulting & angry nature & the polite warnings fall on deaf ears. When the user concerned uses bad or derogatory remarks about F9 staff (the user to all intents & purposes flamed F9 staff then is it any suprise that F9 staff can & do feel offended by such comments (which they actually were as far as I understand).

**no! I dont think this was a case of heavy handedness IMO the user was warned before a ban was given.

**The user concerned also continued to post similar postings over a period of weeks also at times using a different user name to do so. This goes down like a lead balloon with staff & mod's alike, we can ID users no matter what F9 forum name they give and anyone thinking otherwise is naive to say the least. That kind of sneaky trick just isnt going to wash I'm affraid, the users alternative name has also been blocked now.

Ivan
N/A

Looking at some of UKBROWNS past posts, they were quite accurate and highlighted some valid flaws with F9's service. I don't believe all of these criticisms were answered fully, which may have lead to his dissatisfaction and frustration.

Its a shame he cannot comment on this post himself, so we will have to believe that F9 e-mailed him with the aforementioned warnings indicating to him that if he continues to offend people, his forum post rights will be revoked. (This is what happened isn’t it?)
He acknowledged the bad posting when he mentioned a certain country, (Which I agree was in bad taste and should not have been posted) However im surprised that the moderator has not removed this offensive remark. It almost looks as if its been left to prove UKBROWN's guilt. (my opinion only and I may be incorrect)

I have to say that as a customer of F9, I agree with a lot of what UKBROWN has posted. However I do disagree with personal attacks on F9 staff and offensive comments.
Perhaps UKBROWN should be given the chance to publicly apologies for any offence and continue the valid discussions on the current problems with service. Im sure F9 welcomes both positive and negative feedback.
N/A

Hi,

By way of an update, the moderators team decided ukbrown was to be given a 6week ban which will be lifted on the 1st December. He has been informed by email of this and his forum access will be reset then.

Ivan
N/A

Are force9 too heavy handed?

All ISPs have to make money.....if they don't they go bust....Force9 attracted a certain type of downloader by their web site, additional features (web space, CGI, mySQL etc) and for this they must accept the downside.....give folks 2M and they'll use 2M!

How do we reach a happy compromise? As a heavy user who has had the dreaded email...you have exceeded the 100GB per month....twice.....not to mention the 250MB web download email I know how to hack off force9......

So what's the happy compromise? I'm happy with having my p2p downloads capped during peak hours but not my normal downloads....If my kids need to download a 10M file for homework and it is coming in at 0.02K per second during peak time is that acceptable?

Come on force9 we are not unreasonable users. Get your act together and you will have customer loyalty otherwise most heavy downloaders are IT processionals and we have a big influence on people not in the know....it doesn't take long to bad mouth an isp......

In the words of Chris Tarrent..."but we don't want to do that"....

Give us some options....
N/A

Hi,

Ohh!! come on NOBODY is forcing you too download a 100GB a month, I'm getting fed up of so many people bitching, complaining & moaning about SUP/FUP hasnt anyone heard of personal responability and consideration for other people these days. Look broadband isnt an infinate resource it happens to be a shared service & thats what contention is ALL about otherwise if we didnt have contention you just wouldnt be able to afford the true cost of the bandwidth. Frankly I consider myself extremely lucky to have the quality of service I receive from PlusNet and I waited quite a long time to get 2MB and now I have it I think it was well worth the time scale involved. Some people dont seem to fully appreciate what they have :roll:

Ivan
N/A

cyteck, there was a time I would have agreed with you, it's not that I approve of the extremely heavy users, more that I dissaprove of the heavy handed way plusnet are dealing with them, and the unfairness that high-paying (39.99) cutomers are getting speed penalties on downloading at peak times even when they are light users.

I feel its not currently a fair system.... I think a good gesture from plusnet would be to return to some of the values of the old FUP... for example how about allowing people on the 39.99 tariff unlimited downloads during off peak times, only capping limits during peak times.

If this is not reasonable then I fear for the future of broadband in this country if plusnet really believe that all other ISP's will follow their lead.
N/A

Hi,

Ohh!! come on NOBODY is forcing you too download a 100GB a month, I'm getting fed up of so many people bitching, complaining & moaning about SUP/FUP

Imagine you suscribed to (for example) a satellite TV service, and then you discover that, without informing you, they decided to introduce a policy that limited your viewing, limited it even further during peak viewing times, and then limited your access to news channels further still. And when you complained you were given ludicrous answers like '"NOBODY is forcing you to watch that much TV so quit bitching"

I dunno about you, but I'd be about as happy about it as I am now - even though I probably would not fall foul of the new rules. I was sold a level of service and I'm furious that that level of service has been reduced without warning.

Frankly I consider myself extremely lucky to have the quality of service I receive from PlusNet

ROTFL

Here are a couple of examples of the quality of service we're so lucky to have:

I pay my F9 subscription by Switch card, F9 take the money monthly and I just forget about it. Some months ago, I was issued a new Switch card as part of the drive for 'chip and pin' on all cards. Unfortunately, I didn't think to inform F9. Mea culpa, my oversight. However, instead of a simple email advising me that payment from the old card hadn't gone through, I find my browser was redirected to a page showing an extremely snotty message demanding immediate payment or my account would be permanently disabled, including "access to your email, your website and any other features included with your service". The tone of the guy on the telephone when I phoned to rectify the problem was even less friendly. In all the years I have been with F9 I have never missed a payment. I decided F9 could get lost, but due to inertia I'm still here.

Then there was the new ccgi server and the rumpus mysql server. This became so slow it was unusable, but F9 repeatedly insisted that there was no problem and that the performance was 'acceptable' (there were several threads on this in the cgi forum). I finally moved my cgi/mysql stuff to a pay server and resolved to quit F9 - after all, cgi was what attracted me here in the first place. I understand they finally accepted there was a problem and fixed it, but by now I'd spent my money and moved my files. Anyway, once again, inertia won and I'm still here.

Now we have the SUP farce, and I'm wondering just how much inertia I've got left.
LiamM
Grafter

Usually they do send multiple emails to the postmaster@ address in the event of this happening. I know because I am the contact email for one of my referrals, and I keep getting them CC'd to me saying my referral's card has expired. Then yesterday it stopped their access and redirected them to the portal and they had to pay.
N/A

I pay my F9 subscription by Switch card, F9 take the money monthly and I just forget about it. Some months ago, I was issued a new Switch card as part of the drive for 'chip and pin' on all cards. Unfortunately, I didn't think to inform F9. Mea culpa, my oversight. However, instead of a simple email advising me that payment from the old card hadn't gone through, I find my browser was redirected to a page showing an extremely snotty message demanding immediate payment or my account would be permanently disabled, including "access to your email, your website and any other features included with your service". The tone of the guy on the telephone when I phoned to rectify the problem was even less friendly. In all the years I have been with F9 I have never missed a payment. I decided F9 could get lost, but due to inertia I'm still here.

Exactly my experience, the card had expired, just needed to change the valid from/to dates, but alas no email warnings. I did receive one after the fact.

As far as the SUP is concerned, this is a hard cap of 30Gb as work and sleep don’t allow access outside of "peak"! At the moment this does not affect me. What does affect me though is the traffic shaping applied across the network. Meaning the bandwidth I do use is not delivered at full speed.
N/A

Hi, I have to agree with cyteck on this one, broadband has a limit to the end user, and because of this, f9 has had to place a cap on its users. So people, the limit is in place, and has been for a wee while now, we now have a tool to monitor our downloading, so lets get own with more important things in our lives!! And get over it!

Comparing broadband to TV is not a like for like example, because TV does not have a limit to any user using a TV set.