cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic shaping and transparent proxies are worse than FUP

N/A

I knew this was coming, it was the introduction and capabilities of the redbacks over the juniper's.
Some of you may have read recently about my issue with pn's use of what i termed transparent proxies as my browser got hijacked by pn whilst i was deliberately sending traffic over ports 135 and 445.
hence this http://www.plus.net/virusnotification.html
pn vigorously deny using transparent proxies although quite what you'd term identifying particular traffic leaving a machine then hijacking my browser forcing it to the above page and immediately blocking ICMP would be termed. I term it a transparent proxy.

Using this pn can allow you to only use ports and protocol's of there choosing.
They have blocked protocols and ports i wish to use next goes anything else you want.
Thankfully i only have to stomach this for 2 more days as i left as soon as i knew this was happening.
I'm pleased to note though that the FUP has been dropped through the will and no doubt number of people leaving once they realised it was happening.
1 REPLY
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

I knew this was coming, it was the introduction and capabilities of the redbacks over the juniper's.

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly but the Junipers have replaced the Redbacks, not vice versa.

It was the redbacks that handled the port 445/135 redirects and this is in no way related to traffic management on our network which is handled by the Ellacoya's.

TBH the last remaining redback will be replaced soon by another Juniper ERX.

I remember talking to you about the issues you had at the time and, although I understand your concerns, I have to say that this is not applicable to the current debate.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵