cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traffic_management.shtml is confusing!

N/A

Is there another page which explains it in simpler terms? All I want to know is what I can download and at what speeds it is expected. I understand that if I download over a set limit, my speeds may decrease, but surely it can be explained less complicated than on the page.

The page above Platinum, Titanium, Gold, Silver & Bronze, but doesn't explain what these are or when they apply, and then states that Non-time critical traffic such as file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic are both in the Sivler & Bronze category. Now surely these services can be restricted to both 500K and 250K at the same time, or does this apply only to people who violate the sustainable usable policy? (in which case they are still confusing having two saying the same thing with different speeds).
11 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

The Platinum, Titanium, Gold, Silver & Bronze table shows what priority each applications have across the network as a whole, and not on an individual basis.

This means that more of the platform is dedicated to the higer services than those lower down in the table.

Non-time critical traffic such as file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic are both in the Sivler & Bronze category.

The Silver category is for P2P, USENET etc on Premier accounts, Bronze is for those applications on a Plus account.

Hope that helps.
ceridwen
Grafter

Ben,

I'm sorry but that make this page even more confusing as P2P etc. being in silver queue doesn't quite fit with the traffic management levels description for Premier accounts.

If I'm within the clean usage per month is P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic running an up to line speed (as per the traffic management levels table), or at up to 500Kbps (as per the description of the silver queue).

What speed should you expect at off peak times (either before the clean usage threshold has been reached, or for that matter after the clean usage threshold has been reached)?

Matthew
N/A

Right, so then as I understand it, a 2MB Broadband Premier account is restricted to a 64Kbytes/sec (512Kbps) download speed for file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP trafifc regardless of time of day or the amount already downloaded in that month?
N/A

No reply from Plusnet? Come on, surely you know how your own packages work. Explain them to us rather than trying to confuse us as much as possible!
JonathanW
Grafter

No, under the Clean To management, management is only applied if you transfer more than 20gb of p2p/ftp/nntp traffic during peak hours, and the management is only applied during the same peak period.
N/A

I dont think that is correct, im under the peak time limit 4.8gb to be precise,and im never getting more than 62kbps from an ftp at ANY time of the day.
N/A

HTTP is fine mostly,and it is bloody confusing,I think we are being taken for a ride personally.
N/A

Can I confirm with something.

Just say I'm on BB+ and have reached Traffic Management Level 2, my p2p download speed with be reduced only at peak hours i.e. 8am - 12am? So after the peak hours my speed will go back up to the full 2MBps.

I hope I got this correct... Smiley
Ben_Brown
Grafter

After midnight the speeds will go back to normal for BB+, which isn't the full 2MB for P2P etc.
N/A

That means that my p2p will be still 'capped' but my speed for other stuff will increase up to 2Mbps right?

Sorry to be long winded here but I need to make sure. Smiley
JonathanW
Grafter

Yes, p2p will still run slowly, though not as slowly as during the day, and everything else will be at up to line speed.