cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

totally confused about new £14.99/£21.99 products!

N/A

I am currently paying £24.99 to plus net each month on easy start (more than 12 months).

My average usage per month is about 6/7GB - used mainly for downloading music - no online game playing.

According to the BT site my line is capable of 2MB speed.

Can someone please tell me in simple terms if it would be feasible for me to downgrade to the £14.99 product and if not, why not?

Either way though, I suppose it would be beneficial to me to change to either of these new products I presume?

And final question - it appears that I will have to pay £14.99 for the privilege of downgrading to whichever product?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction because I haven't got a clue!!!

Cheers Smiley
10 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Can someone please tell me in simple terms if it would be feasible for me to downgrade to the £14.99 product and if not, why not?

With average use of 6GB/7GB a month, you would be spending between £19.99 and £20.99 a month on the PAYG product. I suspect with such borderline figures you may be better looking at Broadband Plus or Broadband Premier, though. (£14.99 for Plus, 21.99 for Premier. However, Plus has traffic shaping, so P2P may run slower etc.)

Either way though, I suppose it would be beneficial to me to change to either of these new products I presume?

It looks like it.

And final question - it appears that I will have to pay £14.99 for the privilege of downgrading to whichever product?

Unfortunately, from EasyStart, whichever option you pick is going to involve a £14.99 fee. If you decide to upgrade to 2MB at the same time, instead of waiting on the Free regrade, you'll also need to pay another £14.99.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone now tell me what cgi is (the £14.99 product doesn't have this) and what the implications are for not having a static IP address?

Cheers Smiley
Community Veteran

CGI = Common General Interface and you would only need it if you wanted to set up say a forum or guest book that used perl or php scripts.

A static IP address would be needed if you were running say a server on your home PC.
For normal surfing etc its of no conciquence.
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

With average use of 6GB/7GB a month, you would be spending between £19.99 and £20.99 a month on the PAYG product. I suspect with such borderline figures you may be better looking at Broadband Plus or Broadband Premier, though. (£14.99 for Plus, 21.99 for Premier. However, Plus has traffic shaping, so P2P may run slower etc.)

I've been looking at the £14.99 products for a friend of mine;
for the life of me I can't see why anyone would choose the PAYG option.

If you use P2P, it's going to hammer you, and
if you don't use P2P, you may as well go for Plus.

Am I missing something?

Is there a type of user for whom the £14.99 PAYG would be the better option? :?:
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

PAYG is for those who don't like the idea of selective traffic shaping. Remember that PAYG will also offer speeds of up to 8MB. You would have to pay more to get this with BB+

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Thanks for the replies Smiley

I don't imagine I will ever need CGI or be running a server.

So it would appear that I should go for the £14.99 product - broadband plus (not pay as you go) rather than pay £21.99 for broadband premier.

And to do this, I will pay a one off £14.99 to change product and if I want to change speed NOW to 2MB, this will cost me another £14.99.

Have I got this right?

One day I will know what I'm looking for!!! Cheesy
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

Have I got this right?

Hi there,

Yes you have got this right.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Thank you Cheesy
N/A

Whats the max. allowed monthly data transfer usage on 2Mb premier?
Community Veteran

PlusNet will not release that info because there is no hard and fast value. The only time you will know if you are downloading too much is when they contact you.