cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tired of dns problems?

N/A

tired of dns problems?

Got this from an artile that got dugg at digg.com

Anti typo-squatting (resolves craigslist.og to craigslist.org), a really big cache, several redundant/fast connections, and anti-phishing. Just by changing your DNS settings! Oh and you get off +net's troublesome DNS

CNET article

Opendns.com

check it out, I tried to ping www.bbc.o.uk in command prompt and it resolved the address!
5 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

tired of dns problems?

The World Wide Web is <b>not</b> the internet.

DNS is designed the way it is for a very good reason, and anti-typo features in a DNS server may be all very well for www lookups, but messing with DNS replies will mess with every other internet applications that exists.

If you don't like PN's DNS there are plenty of other proper DNS servers out there, but again PN have DNS servers for a reason, you should use them rather than load any other servers. Your best option perhaps would be to use PN as your primary DNS and some other as your secondary.

And if DNS speed is a problem then the best option is to run your own DNS cache.

Paul.<><
N/A

tired of dns problems?

Your best option perhaps would be to use PN as your primary DNS and some other as your secondary.

I disagree. If you are having problems with their DNS, don't use it.
A secondary will only be used if the primary is uncontactable within a certain period of time.
Because your PC will always give the primary a chance before it uses the secondary, there will be a delay on name lookups. The secondary is not used if the primary answers but does not provide a response to the query.
In short, of your primary is iffy you will end up with delays and possibly failed resolutions.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Triple posting removed.
N/A

tired of dns problems?

Blimey, how did I manage that :lol:
salts
Grafter

tired of dns problems?

That's okay sabennett, were used to seeing you post the same thing over and over again... Wink
pacem
Grafter

tired of dns problems?

arf at repetition comment... anyway at the risk of repeating myself; yes I didn't think when I suggested having a different secondary DNS, but I stand by what I say about not using customised DNS systems. This is only one step away form people offereing their own name resolution service. - May be I should set-up my own DNS server and offer a .cool domain to anyone who uses it.

Paul.<><