Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ticket 22014358

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

ticket 22014358

Hi there,

The broadband is showing as active from here but we cannot see any connection attempts.
Can you follow the steps outlined by my colleague in his reply to your ticket and we can look further into this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
15 REPLIES
N/A

ticket 22014358

Help, I upgraded to broadband and it was supposed to be working by 24th May but it has never worked! I raised this ticket but it has been closed ! could one of the plus.net guys take a look ?
N/A

ticket 22014358

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply we have tried all these steps and still no broadband ?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ticket 22014358

Hi,

The connection logs show that you've now been able to connect. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. The earlier testing showed there may have been something connected to the line causing interference but it's not conclusive. Unfortunately it may just be one of those cases where the cause is never known.
N/A

ticket 22014358

Hi Dave thanks for the response have just been chatting to a really helpful bloke in the support center (his name is on the ticket).

Connection hasd stopped again and I haver found the following out.

When I connect a DLINK router to main socket it works with no problem (syncs in seconds)
When I connect the Voyager 210 ADSL to the line it won't sync (waited approx 20 minutes)

When I took both of them to a different broadband connection they are both syncing without a problem. Could the lack of sync be due to a weak signal ?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

ticket 22014358

It could be, can you get the line stats from the DLink, this site lists how to get them on some Dlink routers:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

Also just to check, are you connecting the Voyager at the master socket as well?
N/A

ticket 22014358

Hi Dave,

I will get the line stats and update you,

BOth modems were plugged into the master socket at the house.
N/A

ticket 22014358

Hi Dave,

The line stats are below.

Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 576
US Margin 17
DS Margin 3
Modulation MMODE
LOS Errors 5
DS Line Attenuation 63
US Line Attenuation 63
Path Mode Fast Path
Community Veteran

ticket 22014358

DS margin of 3dB - that's very bad you have hardly any signal at all. Given that BT have a min of 6dB for ADSL Max and previously anything under 7dB could be very flaky I'm not surprised you are having problems.

DS line attn 63dB - that's bad as well and indicates you are a long way from the exchange, possibly over 6KM. In the past if you were over 60dB you would be rejected for broadband from BT.

Sync of 512Kbs - given the above this shows your line is pretty much on the limit for broadband and very few routers could cope with this reliably.

I'm surprised you get any connection at all and not surprised some routers don't work or do only for a short time.
N/A

ticket 22014358

Thanks Peter,

Does anybody have any idea where I go from here ? I don't really want to have to buy a new router ? but I do want broadband, I assumed the one that plus.net provided me with would be OK ?
Community Veteran

ticket 22014358

Do you have an NT5E master socket?

If so try the test socket behind the user removable lower panel and see if the stats are any better. If they are this would indicate something wrong with your internal wiring - do you have ADSL filters on all phones, faxes, sky boxes, alarms etc? Have you tried a better filter on your router etc?

However, assuming the stats you have are correct for the line, you are right on the edge (and possibly beyond) what current ADSL technology can cope with so reliability of connection is likely to be a problem long term. Some routers cope better than others in this situation but knowing which ones is impossible to say as so many other factors can affect their operation.
N/A

ticket 22014358

Hi Peter,

I have left teh Dlink router connected for a while and it appears to be stable enough, we have one of the old type sockets in the house.
grimme
Grafter

ticket 22014358

Hi,

If you later find that the Dlink is still causing trouble, the following 2 routers have been reported to be good with longer lines.

2Wire 1800HG and the 2Wire 2700HG-B.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

ticket 22014358

Hi,

grimme is right there, the 2wire routers are great for long lines. I use a 2700HGV and is increased my speed from 6500 at 7db to a near perfect 8128 at 8db. A colleague using one managed to get a very unstable line to sync at 2000.
I understand that the 1800HG is an earlier version of the 2700 but without voip.
Dont Plusnet supply the 1800HG with some packages ?
grimme
Grafter

ticket 22014358

I thought it came with the option 3/4 of the new BBYW packages.

OP is an upgrade to broadband (presumably from Dial-up), so maybe went to another dealHuh