cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this speed is a right joke!!!

brettking24
Grafter

im paying £21.99 a month and all i get is a 15gb a month dl limit!i could go with another company and get over twice that a month and also pay less!!im realy considering getting out of my contract as the limit is a joke,even sky do it for £17.99 a month with a 40gb limit

what should i do?

cheers
12 REPLIES
N/A

The limit is frustrating, but as far as I'm aware it's only a peak-time limit? I've just had to schedule my uTorrent client to download After Midnight and stop when it gets to 4pm.
Community Veteran

@strobez1977

For Premier opt1 £21.99, the d/l limit went upto 20GB during peak-time, and the hours of peak time changed from "08:00H until midnight", to "16:00H until midnight".
Off-peak changed from around 100GB allowance, to an unspecified ammount, but certainly in excess of previous limit.

So I guess you might want to think again. Wink
N/A

Sky is 40GB of total downloads per month. Plusnet is 20GB of downloads between 4pm and midnight. Downloading between midnight and 3:59pm is unmetered.

So I'd say PN allows you to download far more than Sky Smiley
brettking24
Grafter

depends...

realy depends as i work 7-4 most days so where that might not be a problem for others by the time i get home im in peak time Sad
craigbrass
Grafter

Well I look at it this way. With PlusNet you get 120GB per month. 100GB off-peak and 20GB peak. Usuaully (unless it was very urgent) I wouldn't want to be downloading large files / torrenting in peak time anyway as I like to browse the net then and doing the above two would impair my browsing speed. Therfore, it makes sense to have large downloads / torrents running while you are asleep and / or while you are at work during the day.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Community Veteran

It would be good if you could choose your peak time just as one of the major mobile companies used to allow you to do.

A
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Off peak has no limit. This has been clarified by PN staff on the forum a few times. In the past (dim and distant ;-)) it was suggested that to exceed 100MB might cause a review of an account, but 100MB is not a written limit.

If you look at other ISPs, few match PlusNet for downloads if you can schedule your downloads. Many hide their download limits/blocking/traffic management,so you don't really kow what you're buying into.

Neil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: depends...

realy depends as i work 7-4 most days so where that might not be a problem for others by the time i get home im in peak time Sad

Hi,

Our products are based around peak time usage as this is what drives our costs, by definition off peak is quieter so there's no need for the same kind of usage allowances because there's bandwidth to spare.

By doing this one of the things we are trying to do is to encourage the heavy usage like P2P and Usenet off peak and ensure the priority for the real time stuff like gaming, web browsing and VoIP is there at peak time.

Like squidgey and many others I set my P2P downloads to happen off peak, I'm not that bothered how quickly my P2P downloads and generally don't want it right that minute so set things going before going to work or going to bed knowing that they'll be done when I want them.

Obviously not everyone wants to do that and and that's why we have different peak time allowances and different packages to try and suit most people.
Community Veteran

Slightly off topic but what p2p stuff do poepl download. Am I missing something here? COuld smeone point me in the direction of some good p2p sites. I hate to miss out on all the fun.

Cheers

A
N/A

The difficulty with answering the question is that people download vitually anything.
Many are Linux Distros, another group may be downloading videos/music, some will be sharing their photo's this way... the list goes on and on.
P2P is a method of delivery, rather than a particular type of download, so I guess to point you to the right place, we'd need to know what you want to D/L.
Since its off topic here, it may be better to ask the question in "everything internet"
N/A

I think i have a fair idea what the average teenage male would be downloading off p2p.. Hmmmm
shellsong
Grafter

Yeah-- and some of the little extras that sneak in under cover of those downloads probably add to the traffic as well! Tongue :lol: