cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this is now beyond a joke

N/A

I have had for 2 years a solid 2mb connection. max dsl comes along and everything is fine . a week ago speed drop to 1mb i now after 4 days ge this responce

BT send us what is known as a delta report, this is what they believe your max speed will be and we set it on your account to match that report. In your case they only believe you can get 1mb which why its set to that. You can get maxdsl to re-evaluate the line if you believe it should be higher, to do this its recommended that you plug your modem/router into the master socket for 72 hours, repeatedly turning on and off the device as often as possible with a min 15 minuite gap inbetween. Unfortunately at this time this seems to be the only way to get max to change its mind on your stable rate.

HOW CAN THIS BE?Huh
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: this is now beyond a joke

.... repeatedly turning on and off the device as often as possible with a min 15 minuite gap inbetween. Unfortunately at this time this seems to be the only way to get max to change its mind on your stable rate.

HOW CAN THIS BE?Huh

This is a big limitation and oversight by BT, this is something all ISP have to deal with not just PN. So no need to blame PN on this occassion.

Afraid there is some truth in this, but you really only need to disconnect the router once or twice a day for 3 days ... every 15 minutes is a bit excessive!

Also, read the two links in my signature below for the full story.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

MAC key has been requested and direct debit stopped so now not really botherd.

and if money does get taken from my account the bank has been informed to contact the police.

bye bye plusnet you bunch of fraudsters
N/A

and if money does get taken from my account the bank has been informed to contact the police.

Can you not read...

All ISP's will give you the same problem.

So good luck! Your gonna need it!!
N/A

its recommended that you plug your modem/router into the master socket for 72 hours, repeatedly turning on and off the device as often as possible with a min 15 minuite gap inbetween. Unfortunately at this time this seems to be the only way to get max to change its mind on your stable rate

Pretty sure fire way of getting interleaving and / or a higher target noise margin imposed too.
N/A

its recommended that you plug your modem/router into the master socket for 72 hours, repeatedly turning on and off the device as often as possible with a min 15 minuite gap inbetween. Unfortunately at this time this seems to be the only way to get max to change its mind on your stable rate

Pretty sure fire way of getting interleaving and / or a higher target noise margin imposed too.

thing is why after being moved to maxdsl after 8 weeks the report comes through? and why is my modem still syncing at 4500.

plusnet also shoot them selves in the foot by saying BT tell us what to set your connection at, and then say unplug your modem etc to get it to reset it self!!!! why dont they just flip the switch they put at 1meg back to 2mb that it was originally or the 8mb it has been workign fine for the last 8 weeks

IDIOTS the lot of em
N/A

Beacuse maxDSL is BT's "fudged up" way of trying to get higher speeds without actually having to spend the costs of installing adsl2 equipment in exchanges.

With the old style way of things there were no Delta Reports from BT that told anyone what their stable speeds were, the system now is a whole lot more automated due to the fact that it is more sensitive.

Because maxDSL pushes the lines a lot more than they used to, any flaws in cables, loose connections, etc are a LOT more noticible and will cause problems to your connection.

Plus with more people being moved to maxDSL at 8Mb, the equipment and lines that were originally rated for 2Mb are much more pushed, if you didn't see contention before, with 4x as much bandwidth going through the same exchange/pipe you WILL see it now. Each day as more people come on to it, the slower it would theoretically get.

MaxDSL works by detecting the best speed your line can run at, if it sees problems or errors or anything, it drops the speed, after 3 days if it still works, it ups the speed a little and so on and so on. It's doubtful you would see a continous 24/7 same speed scenario as you did under the old connection types.
Community Veteran

MAC key has been requested ...

Can you not read...

Clearly not Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Camsoft,

Firstly may I draw your attention t the fact that your still bound by contract to supply 30 days notice and to pay any subscription charges within that 30 days regardless of whether or not you think Plusnet deserve them.
Basically this is because your in a contract with them and by stopping payment you are only welcoming the use of debt collection agencies. It is common knowledge by now that Plusnet employ the use of some very well versed solicitors for all legality materials ( how else could you explain the terms and conditions <g> ) and there is little you can do to get out of owing the money.

As for your speed, this is unfortunately down to BT. As mentioned before BT's equipment ( at a last count the BRAS servers ) formed a Delta report on your line which is then sent to both BT and Plusnet. Now if you have rebooted your router on a possible 3 or 4 occassions in any 24 hour period you could have welcomed the use of interleaving and so higher SNR is required ( hence the lower speed if your as far from the exchange as me ).

You may be better of finding out whether or not interleaving is on and if so request for it to be disabled. Then what you need t do as a must is allow your router to sync at a higher rate for 3 days running so that the Delta report is changed thus giving you a greater connection speed again.

Its a big faf on I know, but trust me its only exactly the same everywhere else also...

Regards,
N/A

All I seem to see on this forum is a wave of unhappy customers, all screaming about leaving PlusNet - when at the end of the day, it's BT at fault.

In reality, you have the following options.

1. Get NTL/Telewest (If possible)
2. Investigate alternative methods of broadband - I can't remember off the top of my head, but in Portishead a group of people went and sorted out Wireless broadband - it is now a growing popular alternative.
3. MOVE HOUSE.
N/A

This remains unclear, but

1) Not all ISP's have maxed their customers, and some may be willing to negotiate a non-maxed connection for them.

2) All the faults I have complained about are Plus Net's.
N/A

All I seem to see on this forum is a wave of unhappy customers

That's because, generally, only unhappy customers are motivated to post.
Laugh
Grafter

All I seem to see on this forum is a wave of unhappy customers

Peek a Boo ! Cheesy I was maxed and didn't know it. No probs here...
James
Grafter

I post too and I'm not even a customer Smiley
Laugh
Grafter

I post too and I'm not even a customer Smiley

Does this mean you use another ISP to connect from home James?