cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this can't be right....Can it?

thunderbird30
Grafter

I was trying to download the driver package for my HP laserjet 1300 printer and my download speed is only 3.6kb per sec! This is not what I'm paying £21.99 per month for.

I looked at my useage and so far I have used 11.55gb peak time useage and 30.36gb so far this month.
Is my painfully slow download speed due to the amount of traffic I have used so far? I have received no emails telling me over useage from Plusnet.

Please can someone advise?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Try some other downloads from other reputable companies to make sure it's not just a problem with HP.
thunderbird30
Grafter

I've just noticed that the file is being downloaded from an HP ftp server.......
Other downloads from non ftp sources are ok
LiamM
Grafter

And are you on Broadband Plus? If so, that would make sense as FTP is being managed on Plus.

I believe Plusnet are looking into this at the moment.
thunderbird30
Grafter

I'm currently on Premier.
I moved to this package after being told whilst I was on + that I could get better speeds if I moved onto a higher tarrif.

Tell me the truth rather than lying to me Plusnet.................
Community Veteran

There seems little point anyone changing packages until the dust settles on the new changes. After a month or so you will know what you are dealing with.
kitz
Rising Star

I downloaded some HP drivers the other night which although they started off slow .. eventually came down at almost full pelt.

There were a few others that tried the same HP file at the same time who didnt experience problems either... as long as they weren't on BB+

The only thing that I can think is those that tested the HP file where on "the new month"..

I am as my billing date is the 9th, cant speak for the others.
Maybe a CS guy could clarify if there is a possibility that ftp could be affected (or not) until a new month is reached please.
N/A

I just tried to download the driver kitz mentioned in this thread and the connection timed out connecting to the server.

From the dns records for ftp.hp.com it looks like they only have two machines that service the ftp requests (I am well aware that the two ip addresses could be two load balancing servers).

However, trying a download from ftp.uk.debian.org comes in at full speed, so its not a throttling issue.

I think we can chalk this up as one for hp to look at and not a plusnet problem.

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
N/A

addendum: both attempts were made with in minutes of each other.