cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

telnet to webspace?

N/A

telnet to webspace?

Hi, I am tyring to find out how much of my web space allocation I am using. As I understand it, I should telnet to the ftp server and use the command 'du'. I raised a query and was told the server is ftp.plus.net. I can ftp to ftp.plus.net - no problem. When I try to telnet using 'telnet ftp.plus.net' using the Win2k telnet client, I get the message "Could not open a connection to host: connection failed" after a delay of about 20 seconds (timeout?). I did a host-to-ip lookup but 'telnet 212.159.9.131' doesn't work either. Do I need to use the port number, if so, what is it? Any suggestions appreciated.

John
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,983
Thanks: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

RE: telnet to webspace?

> Hi, I am tyring to find out how much of my web space allocation I am using. As I understand it, I should telnet to the ftp server and use the command 'du'. I raised a query and was told the server is ftp.plus.net. I can ftp to ftp.plus.net - no problem. When I try to telnet using 'telnet ftp.plus.net' using the Win2k telnet client, I get the message "Could not open a connection to host: connection failed" after a delay of about 20 seconds (timeout?). I did a host-to-ip lookup but 'telnet 212.159.9.131' doesn't work either. Do I need to use the port number, if so, what is it? Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> John

I can't make it work either? I can tenet to my cgi space with no problem but until now I have never tried to get to my home pages using telnet.
I've had a go with all sorts of combinations to log in username homepages htdocs ftp etc but all to no avail. It always comes up with could not open connection as yours did.
Perhaps support could give us a clue on this one?
:confused:

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

RE: telnet to webspace?

Hi,

You are quite right in suggesting that you need the port number and the number you need is 21. Therefore, your command will be as follows:

telnet ftp.plus.net 21

Once logged in, at the (not so obvious) prompt, type:

user <username>
pass <password>

... and you should find you have access.

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

RE: telnet to webspace?

Cheers, Mark,

> at the (not so obvious) prompt, ..
That's an understatement :-)

I got in OK but your telnet software doesn't recognise any of the commands I want to use
(ls, du, cd, etc..) e.g. LS just gives "500 LS not understood". Typing help gives a list of 4-letter
abbreviations for the available commands but
I'm still none the wiser. I'm only a linux
dabbler but it's obscure, even for linux.
Never mind - I'll just use WS_FTP and add up
all the numbers, directory by directory!
I was hoping there was an easier way. Ah well.
Thanks anyway.

John
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,983
Thanks: 8
Registered: 10-04-2007

RE: telnet to webspace?

> Cheers, Mark,
>
> > at the (not so obvious) prompt, ..
> That's an understatement :-)
>
> I got in OK but your telnet software doesn't recognise any of the commands I want to use
> (ls, du, cd, etc..) e.g. LS just gives "500 LS not understood". Typing help gives a list of 4-letter
> abbreviations for the available commands but
> I'm still none the wiser. I'm only a linux
> dabbler but it's obscure, even for linux.
> Never mind - I'll just use WS_FTP and add up
> all the numbers, directory by directory!
> I was hoping there was an easier way. Ah well.
> Thanks anyway.
>
> John

John

I assume that if you are like me then you will have copies of your web sites on your own machine.
If so it is then quite easy to right click on the folder containing the site you want to find the size of and then left click on the properties in the box that appears.
This will then give you among other things all the information about the folder size and number files etc.
It would save you a lot of counting by hand.




--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

RE: telnet to webspace?

> If so it is then quite easy to right click on the folder containing the site you want to find the size of and then left click on the properties in the box that appears.

Thanks for the reply, John but it isn't as simple as that, I'm afraid. There are odds-and-ends which I posted to test online as well and files that I have linked to from various discussion groups.
So I don't have a single site mirror folder on the hard disk - stuff is scattered around all over the place! I really must get organised :-)

John
N/A

RE: telnet to webspace?

Telnetting to port 21 gives you direct access to the ftp server, not a shell account.

Hence you can manually run the ftp protocol (GET, PUT, etc) but you can't run standard unix (or linux) commands (like ls, du, df, etc.)

Having said that, I was under the impression that we were going to get a proper shell account when I signed up - one of the reasons I chose plus.net.. what gives??


--
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.