cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

synch, vs stablerate, vs actual speed.

crimsone
Grafter

I was just hoping that somebody would explain to me why I have a stablerate of 3000, a current synch speed of 5 meg, and yet download speeds of only 120 KB?

Yes, I've had noise problems on the line. The reason I've had nois problems is because my microfilters burn out within 3-5 days and I can't afford to replace them. I've used a variety of modems, 2 faceplate ADSL splitters (NTE5 - one of which was supplied by BT themselves), numerous filters, and even rewired my one single short extension in Cat5e cabling. BT have supposedly fixed something or other on the line, but to no avail here.

When I reported it via PN CS over the phone, a few days later I get the standard "check your wireing and try the master socket" response, even though I'd already explained all this on the phone. (this was inbetween my shoddy treatment over a PN screw-up that resulted in my internet phone service being unusable in any way shape or form, since (thankfully) resolved - though it took WAAAAY longer than it should have.

In the mean time, I fitted a new-ish microfilter today and recieved this current 5 meg synch in response, and yet find that I'm restricted to sub 1.5 meg speeds anyway! Why? My stablerate is double that! When my lines actually fully filtered it's one of the strongest in the area and capable of 8 meg anyway.

I'n short, I am seriously peeved, and being quite seriously ill at the moment, I could do without this stress. All I wan't is an internet connection that actually works - one where I can talk on the phone at the same time, where I don't have to go out and buy a new microfilter every three days to keep it working, one with customer support that actually listens and supports customers without recanting the <insert expleteive> obvious and redundant for no good reason (and actually sorts things out!)..

Two questions.
1, Why can't I connect at at least my stablerate (let alone synch speed!)?
2, Am I ever going to get this darned filter/noise issue resolved (even with modem unplugged I'm getting very occasional and random screeching noises (or at least I was)?

Sorry (maybe it's in part the stress I'm under, but this issue with both my connection and customer support is helping) - this is make or break time. Actually help a regularly paying and relatively non-troublesome customer, or loose my custom to a competitor. Simple as that really.

I apologise sincerely to any of the Comms team that may read this - not your fault. I'm just sick to the back teeth of the "service" I'm getting for my money of late (read the past few months).

/* end very sincere and deliberate rant from a normally placid and easygoing customer */
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As you keep burning out filters it sounds like you've either got a physical fault on your line, or equipment (other than the modem) you have plugged in is faulty.

If you unplug everything including the filter, and just plug an ordinary telephone in to the master socket, is there any noise on the line (check using the quiet line test 17070 option 2)? There should be no buzzing or clicking.

If there is that needs to be reported as an ordinary telephone fault to BT 0800 800 151.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
crimsone
Grafter

apart from a very very faint crackle that occasionally becomes a very very faint hiss, there's no noise. It certainly doesn't sound like anything of consequence to the best of my knowledge - but then, I'm not a BT engineer and so I wouldn't know. (I've not heared of the quiet line test before - thanks)

Other than that, my phone and my modem or router (depending on mood/need) are the only things connected to my phone line, and so there's not really any equiptment to have a fault on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Clutching at straws here: Swapping backwards and forwards between modem and router which will probably give slightly different characteristics and hence sync speed could be interpreted by the BT as line instability. It may then keep turning the speed down to try to find a speed at which it it is stable. I'd try leaving the router connected and on solidly for a few days (maybe reboot once a day at most) to see if it makes a difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
crimsone
Grafter

Tried that - unfortunatly, neither can keeep synch for long enough (not over the last week or two anyway - though my router is doing a good job of synching at between 5-6 meg still). I tend to use each piece of equiptment for a few days at a time anyway.

...Still - Surely I should be able to connect at at LEAST my stablerate if my synch is higher than it?