cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sync but no ip address

N/A

sync but no ip address

I have had this problem periodically since being upgraded several months ago. The modem syncs at full speed but I get no IP address from PN; and continually have to reboot the modem until I finally can access the internt.

Not spotted any pattern. And am using the same hardware. Anbody help?

BTW can someone point me to how to raise a ticket - it may help :-/ I just seem to go round in a circle of links without finding the non-wizard ask a question link.
10 REPLIES
N/A

sync but no ip address

Sounds like you've been "upgraded" to LLU, in which case, welcome Wink

You shouldn't need to reboot your router continuously though, just leaving it on until it connects should work. Rebooting your router too often may degrade your line speed.
N/A

sync but no ip address

frankp:

Try the Help section again its been re-vamped, 2 clicks to ask a question if you cant find a relevent link in help.
lhorwath
Grafter

sync but no ip address

Hi Frank,

You are on Max DSL. I can see that you had several sessions yesterday, but each time you appeared to be assigned an IP. If you log on as bt_test@startup_domain with the password of test, do you get assigned an IP? You will not be able to browse when logged in as this, so swap back to your details after testing.
N/A

sync but no ip address

Thanks for the response. Next time it fails I will try your suggestion.

To be clear: when it fails, the modem HTML system view tells me that the DSL is connected at 8M, but on the WAN interface section that I have no IP address nor Mask nor Gateway. If I keep rebooting then eventually I get an IP mask etc. Perhaps the problem is not at PN's end then ?!
Community Veteran

sync but no ip address

Sometimes it can take a few minutes to be assigned an IP address.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

sync but no ip address

the modem HTML system view tells me that the DSL is connected at 8M, but on the WAN interface section that I have no IP address nor Mask nor Gateway. If I keep rebooting then eventually I get an IP mask etc.

Do you refresh the display a few times before rebooting to see if you've been connected to PlusNet yet?

As 'godsell4' says, it can sometimes take a little while to get the IP address etc and each time you reboot you are starting from scratch again timewise.

I've occasionally found it has 'stuck' so to speak, and only a reboot will do the trick but then it connects to PlusNet immediately.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

sync but no ip address

Usually I switch on the power, the modem starts. Then I turn on the computer. Linux boots - about 1-2 minutes, I guess. I then get round to trying to connect to the net. When it fails I check the modem html screen and find no IP etc. Probably at least a few minutes have elasped in total.

I will wait longer next time and see if this helps.
N/A

sync but no ip address

Also, instead of rebooting the router, just removing the telephone cable, waiting for the DSL light to go out and then reinserting the cable should do the same job, but should get it resync'ing quicker, as it'll miss out all the rebooting & testing of the router's OS & hardware.
N/A

sync but no ip address

Happened again.

Waited a long time - nothing happened.

Tried bt_test@startup_domain, but no IP assigned.

Irritated, but may not be PN of course. Any clues?
N/A

sync but no ip address

Have you tried an alternative modem/router ? If the BT test login doesn't work, then it doesn't sound like a problem at PN's end.