cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suspicious email allegdly from my own domain?

Community Veteran

Tonight i recieved a suspicious e-mail from accounting@mcc****.co.uk I don't have an address with this address so logged on using the web browser rather than outlook.

The e-mail was tying to get me to signup for a service which would promote my site to 30,000 websites.

Is there anyway to avoid this kind of scam. I take it my address / domain was harvested from the net.

A
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Nothing you can do, this is standard practice with spammers; find a domain name then fire off a load of mails to common addresses at that domain in the hope one will find it's way to you.

Maybe have a look at: Email: Spam FAQs
N/A

lol,

you havent seen my inbox. Blimey the beggers cant stay away lol.

And someone has started spoofing my domain name and sending me emails.
Hmmm
shellsong
Grafter

Heh! Thanks, you just reminded me to sling out the weird trash that had accumulated in my postmaster account since the beginning of the year! Shockedops: :lol:
Pathfinder
Grafter

Yep I just got a bunch (22) of the accounting emails.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I think I know the spams you mean, as I seem to get batches of around 20 or so to my domains now and again. It's the 'charity/non-profit mailing' ones I seem to get.

I assume is all they do, is harvest WHOIS records looking for registered domains, maybe check the MX records and fire off their junk to common account names for domains such as webmaster, postmaster, accounting and info.
Community Veteran

I've previously asked plusnet to blackwhole my main anything at type of mail address so I think I'll just set up a forward for accounting to that that way it dissapearers to the ether.

I would have thought plusnet antispam would have picked up on this type of mail.

A