cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

super slow braodband

N/A

super slow braodband

why am i getting such a bad connection, b4 i use to get 1 mb with plusnet and its down to an average 131 kbs which i find to be ridiculous, my nextdoor neighbour is with plusnet too and he getting much better connection speed than me. could you resolve this as soon as possible as i have had to put up with this ridiculous speed for about 4 mths now and im seriously considering leaving.
see below information from my router.

Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 160 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
10 REPLIES
N/A

Re: super slow braodband

ps BT said my line can support 3mb

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote from proceeding post removed as per the Link:rules
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

super slow braodband

What is your SNR and attenuation for the line?
N/A

super slow braodband

here my router details

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 160 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2 db 12 db
shellsong
Grafter

super slow braodband

There's something really wrong with your connection for stats like that! Upstream is reasonable but the downstream looks like all the higher frequencies are getting lost somewhere.

BT are probably right about a line the length of yours being good for 3 Mbps or so, but not until it has been well and truly sorted-- Have you tried eliminating areas under your control that could be causing this?

You can make sure that it's not your side of the BT master socket by plugging the router straight into the test socket if you have the sort of master socket that has a split faceplate with a removable lower half, also if you can try a different router it would be helpful
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

super slow braodband

I agree with shellsong. With your modem is syncing @ a very good uplink speed (max for residential MaxDSL), but a very poor downstream your line stats are pretty much what I was expecting to see.

You're not going to get a great downstream performance with only 2dB of signal!!!

I suspect that you have either an internal wiring problem or maybe some line corosion problems. As shellsong suggests, the first thing to try is plugging the modem/router into BT master socket - firstly just the socket itself and, if this doesn't improve anything, providing you have the new style NTE5 master socket, remove the faceplate and plug into the test socket to see what happens.

Neil
essenby
Grafter

super slow braodband

I have exactly the same (or very similar) problem. After much nvestigation by BT, my router sunch at 2.2Mb but mu Download speed is 200K or below - my Upload speed is 448!

My router is pugged directly into a split panel Master socket and I have the same problem with only the router plugged in!
N/A

super slow braodband

i did have my house done a coupe months ago and my master socket got knocked of wall by accident but i rewired it, this could be the problem Sad . bt gonna charge a fortune for this aint they
N/A

Same here

Over a week ago my connection suddenly dropped from an average of 1.5mb to 132 kbs.

I had made no previous changes to my setup.

I've tested the router (on my sister's connection) and it's able to get speeds up to 1.2mb (Orange) but reconnecting back to my Plus Net it drops to 132 kbs.

I've updated the router firmware but no difference.

My outstanding ticket on the issue has been 'escalated' twice for what it's worth but no positive feedback.

I've always been happy to pay for a service that works and appreciate that problems may occur from time to time but this is starting to develop into a real issue.

To make things worse my neighbour is using Talk Talk at the moment and getting a stable 2mb conncetion. Ah!!!!
N/A

super slow braodband

You're not going to get a great downstream performance with only 2dB of signal!!!

His router is showing noise margin, not signal/noise ratio.
probably a BT Voyager router as they do that.

Although a 2dB margin isn't that great either to be honest.
N/A

super slow braodband

i have netgear DG843G that y its not not signal/noise ratio

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules