cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sudden change in line stats

N/A

Hi.

Below are my line stats since being upgraded to Max in August.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13 db 3 db
Noise Margin 14 db 29 db
bt speed test IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
pn stable rate=8000 Kbps

Been getting speeds of between 5.5/6.1.

Then sometime over the weekend this happened.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3296 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13 db 2.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 10 db
bt speed test IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
pn stable rate=8000 Kbps

The Noise margin has dropped from 14 to 6 down & from 29 to 10 up.The Connection Speed has dropped from 8128 to 3296.The IP line profile (BT speed test) has dropped from 7150 to 2500
but the PN stable rate is still 8000.

So can anyone tell me what has happened to my line & why?
Any suggestions/help appreciated.

thanks.
8 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

Well the attenuation not changing would indicate that the line has not deterioated or got a phy fault.

My *guess* would be local RFI or more likely EMI.

Any new bits of Kit near the router? changed any cabling?
N/A

Well the attenuation not changing would indicate that the line has not deterioated or got a phy fault.

My *guess* would be local RFI or more likely EMI.

Any new bits of Kit near the router? changed any cabling?

No, No new bits of Kit or cabling but with it being Christmas could it be something that my neighbours may have switched on? Is this possible?
N/A

My PN stable rate has just now changed to 2500 :?
passer
Grafter

Mine changed from 4500 to 1500 over the weekend Cry

Can I apply to be returned to a 2mb line? Me and that 2mb were very happy for a long time, kinda comfortable with each other.
Lorian
Grafter

No, No new bits of Kit or cabling but with it being Christmas could it be something that my neighbours may have switched on? Is this possible?

That's always a possibility. Any outdoor lights/transformers near your drop cable, or the multicore/cab?

what kind of router do you have, can you get a G.DMT spectrum graph or Bit/Bin loading information from it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

My PN stable rate has just now changed to 2500 :?

Hi,

The portal figure is just catching up with what the BT data says, it just runs about 12 hours or so behind because it doesn't update in real time.

According to BT the reported the drop in speed at 04/12/2006 05:33:08, with the last time that the speed was reported as being 8128kbps being 03/12/2006 10:28:20.

They are usually fairly quick at updating any decrease in speed so the early hours of Monday morning or late Sunday evening would be around the time it happened. Does this tie in with anything that's happened locally? Such as bad weather, neighbours putting up Christmas lights or something similar?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mine changed from 4500 to 1500 over the weekend Cry

Can I apply to be returned to a 2mb line? Me and that 2mb were very happy for a long time, kinda comfortable with each other.

I'd rather try and find the cause than just change to 2Mbps, the reason being that changing back to 2Mbps may not fix the problem, whatever caused the drop to 1.5Mbps may mean that at the moment, for whatever reason, that the line can't support any faster at the moment so changing to 2Mbps may make things worse (e.g. rather than connecting at 1.5Mbps it doesn't connect at all).

As above, see if there's anything locally that could have caused the decrease in speed, and take a read through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything there helps.
Community Veteran

could it be something that my neighbours may have switched on? Is this possible?

The source of electrical interference could be ANYWHERE between you and the telephone exchange, if your SNR is now permantly low it would suggest something other than an external source (would expect it to vary as it turns on/off, e.g. a diesel generator).

Have you connected to your master socket yet to rule out the problem being with your internal phone wiring in your home?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed