cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subdomain on plusnet supplied RDNS

N/A

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I couldn't see anything relevant when searching. Now down to the question...

I know you can add a subdomain quite easily to a bought domain name that is hosted with Plusnet, but is it ever likely that we will be able to do the same with just the supplied RDNS record?

For example, say I wanted to have forum.mattbeale.plus.com pointing at my static IP the same as mattbeale.plus.com does. Would this be possible and if so how?

I know full well that it would be a bad idea to host any kind of community site from my ADSL account, but this is only to use in the development of a forum software (you may have heard of it, it's called Beehiveforum *cough* plug *cough*) and only because our current esteemed hosts sourceforge.net have been grinding to a halt lately, making our work near to impossible to do, so there will only ever be 1 or 2 people making use of it.

Oh, and big up to Pete Kelly in Plusnet's Applications Development department. (or whatever the heck you call it). Keep up the good work.
3 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

I don't think its possible to have anything.username.plus.com pointed anywhere (other than cgi to the CGI server and www to the homepages server)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Unfortunately it isn't possible to set up a sub domain of your username, except as Colin says, the pre-defined ones such as www and cgi.

As you say if you have a domain name registered on your account then you can set up any sub domain you like to point at your static IP.
N/A

Thought as much.

You guys should get awards for responding to forum posts at that time in the evening. Never used to get any kind of service like that out of BTOpenworld, even when contacting their telephone support line.

Cheers.