Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stung by PN - what can i do?

N/A

Basically i've been screwed over.

I brought up a ticket just as I decided to migrate, this is it:-

I am thinking about migrating out before my next billing period and i\'m wondering if I will be charged anything to move?

I signed up Aug 2005, on a month long contract and chose no hardware

Thanks

----

link:CSA Removed CSC Analyst 10:50pm, Monday 6th November 2006

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,
there should be no costs to migrate your service out.

Regards,
link:CSA Removed

So I thought, great! no payments, i'm outta here! I figured as long as I migrated before the 19th, there would be no more money going to PN.
The migration over to Newnet went smoothly, but i've noticed my account here is still active, even though I was assured over the phone that my account cancellation would be automatic...I just rang Plusnet to ask why its open because my billing date is tomorrow, and he said-

"unfortunetly because you didn't give 30 days notice we will take the funds out"

"ok, so will I get them back"

"um, it doesn't look likely"

"so i'm paying for a service i'm not even using? won't i get ANYTHING back?"

"you should get about 1/3 of it back".

I REFUSE to pay Plusnet for a service i'm no longer using!I've been unable to use P2P, email and HTTP has been a crawl for two months, and now i'm having to pay £42+ in one month to two providers!
I've just phoned the bank to cancel the Direct Debit. I DO have a foot to stand on seeing as I have a direct quote from a PN employee saying I wouldn't have to pay anymore fees.

For god sake, I knew there'd be a sting in the tail...this is disgusting

[Moderators note by csogilvie: Agent Name removed]
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think that you may have miss read the CS agents comment. (Please note; it against the forum rules to quote CS agents names.)

I my interpretation he said “there should be no costs to migrate your service out.“ does not mean that you would not still be liable for any outstanding subscription charges. Which is what PlusNet are trying to charge you.

Now I do not agree with PlusNet method of charging for the full month and refunding. One way round this to inform PlusNet that you are revoking your direct debit mandate and request an invoice in full and final settlement.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is no specific cancellation charge and there were no deferred payments on your account which is what the agent was telling you.

However you are required to give 30 days notice of termination and Plusnet will take any regular subscriptions due during that period. You will be able to claim back a proportional amount for the days beyond when your notice runs out (30 days from when you requested your MAC) up to 19th December.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

There is no specific cancellation charge and there were no deferred payments on your account which is what the agent was telling you.

However you are required to give 30 days notice of termination and Plusnet will take any regular subscriptions due during that period. You will be able to claim back a proportional amount for the days beyond when your notice runs out (30 days from when you requested your MAC) up to 19th December.

That's the thing, I requested my mac around the 6/7th of november and signed upto newnet on around the 9th, with the account going live on the 17th.
So all this was done within my last billing period (October 19th - November 18th.
So why should I pay PN for 19th November - 18th Dec - when i'm not going to be using the service?
Community Veteran

You requested your MAC on 7th Nov which is the date your 30 day notice period starts. Your billing date is the 19th Nov so as that falls within the 30 day notice period, you have to pay it in full under the T&C of leaving, regardless of when you actually migrated.

Your 30 day notice period finishes on 6th Dec so you then need to ask for a refund of the payment that covers 7th Dec -> 18th Dec.

The date you migrated is irrelevant to the notice period and payments you have to make.

That is what the others have been trying to explain.
N/A

But the fact of the matter is, i asked if there'd be any further payments if I moved and I was told no...not even one mention of a 30 day clause
N/A

You asked if you would be charged to be moved, they told you there would be no costs to migrate. That's correct.

The money you are being asked to pay is not a charge, but simply the serving out of your 30 days notice. A charge would be the £47(?) you might have to pay if you were LLU, or any deferred hardware costs, above the cost of regular service for 30 days.

The 30 day clause was in your contract when you signed up.