cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stable rates

N/A

stable rates

any ideas why mine is so low .... 1000kbps but checking on BT web site it says ...Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6.5Mbps up to 8Mbps

:?
17 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

stable rates

TBH it can be due to a number of things.

From your end make sure that you are connected directly to the BT master socket and not running through any extension cables. Make sure you have filters on all used telephone points in your premises too.

If this doesn't improve the situation it would be interesting to see your router stats - sync speed, attenuation, SNR for example.

If your not too sure how to get these have a look here

Hope this helps
N/A

stable rates

double dutch to me but :shock: here are specs

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1632 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 17 db
chrisc
Grafter

stable rates

It looks like you have a very noisy line with a lot of interference.

At present it's unlikely that you will see much faster speeds - make sure that you have done all you can at your end.

Plug the modem/router directly into the master socket and don't use any extension cables. New filters should also help to rule out any interference from your equipment.

If you have done all that then unfortunately it appears that your line can't take much faster speeds.
N/A

stable rates

thanks chris .... which bit is the noise on the line in the spec(so i can check if any differance is made) and what is acceptable on a normal line

andy
chrisc
Grafter

stable rates

If you see the attenuation go down then you should see the sync speed increase.

These are a general idea or attenuation levels compared to sync speed:

0-42 dB - 2Mbps
43-60 dB - 1Mbps
60 dB - 512kbps
N/A

stable rates

everything unplugged apart from modem and no differance ... also why would upstream be differnat from downstream
andy
chrisc
Grafter

stable rates

Can you try in the test socket behind the faceplate of the master socket?

If this does not improve the stats then it is likely that you are currently getting the best that your line can support.
N/A

stable rates

will do chris .... i have been on a stable rate of 1500kbps with no probs for weeks ... just recently dropped to 500 then upto 1000 after 3 days of reconnecting
N/A

stable rates

still the same in the test socket in the master
N/A

stable rates

just put it all back and as before

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1632 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 17 db

connected at 1632 kbps .... but stable rate 1000 :?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

stable rates

Your stable rate isn't going to increase until you sync at 1728kbps or above.
That attenuation still looks very high, do you live a long distance from the exchange?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

stable rates

a fair distance .... but never been a problem .. i had BT come and check the line in feb and it tested fine at 2mb and the engineer said i was on the best line of them all from the exchange .... i've just been nextdoor and checked theirs and its 58db but their connection speed is 586kbps(freeserve i think :roll: )..... could it be just somthing that will clear on its own ?

cheers
Mark64uk
Grafter

stable rates

i have nearly the same stats as you have and here's what mine gets

Connection Speed 3328 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 58 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483646 db 19 db

I don't know why the noise margin is showing like that but its normally about 8 or 9.I live about 3KM straight line from my exchange. I found my lines better with my router then a modem as with modem i get speeds at about 1.2.
N/A

stable rates

about the same distance as me mark .... mybe a little less ....dont you just love computers :?

ps ..... PN staff .... keep up the good work .. i find the forum alot better than opening questions