cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed

superloon
Grafter

speed

can anyone tell me why my speeds have allways been so slow if i look outside my front door can see the exchange??

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3476 kbps
this is my normal speeds
7 REPLIES
N/A

speed

Hi there,

Was that test run during peak times per chance?

Many things can affect your speed and the busier your exchange gets at peak times, say after 4pm, the less bandwidth there is available to go round. The same applies to the ISP network.

The best way of determining where the slow down is occurring is by running the standard BT test. Details here http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

The results of that test will help show where the slow don is occurring.

TBH, your reported speeds, if during peak arent too bad for a MAX product. If you were around in the early hours or say at about 6am and ran the same test, I reckon you'd see a big difference. But slower speeds during peak periods is simply the nature of the beast at present.
superloon
Grafter

speed

i get up 5.15 every weekday for work ran speed test nearly every mornin and i get the same results a friend 3-4 miles further away from me and the exchange get 6mbps nearly every test he is on aol so if he can get those sort of speeds plusnet must be the problem
superloon
Grafter

speed

this was tested at 05.39 is thia peak time :shock:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3092 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
N/A

speed

this was tested at 05.39 is thia peak time

you would think so speeds p2p are running at
superloon
Grafter

speed

can anybody explain why i am not gettin the speeds i should be gettin
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

speed

Hi,

There could be a number of reasons for this. The 7.1Mbps is the absolute maximum throughput speed you could see under perfect conditions. In reality 5.5-6.5Mbps is probably the top end of the speeds people will see.

At 5.15am I'd probably expect to speed to be nearer these figures, but it's dependant on a couple of factors. The first being exchange contention, as I say I would expect this to be of little relevance at that time of day, but I have seen occassions where contention kicks in at that time.

Another thought, what type of modem/router do you have? The Speedtouch 330 modem for example has a default driver setting of a maximum speed of 4Mbps, so this site for more details:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
superloon
Grafter

speed

i have a voyager105 could this be the problem?Huh