Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed just ran into the ground

fatdeeman
Grafter

Hello all

I found my connection to be slow today so I carried out some tests and have found my bt profile has dropped from 6000k to 4500k and that the actual speeds im experiencing are roughly on par with dialup:

IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5440 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4 kbps

I have also noticed that the path mode reported in my router has changed from "interleaved" to "fast path" this seems to have happened at the same time as the drop in speed.

the router has been switched off for a couple of days and i turned it on again this morning, everything had been running fine for over 6 months before this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm moving house in a week or so and it's not the end of the world however there is a lot of stuff i need internet access for to organize and at the moment my connection keep cutting out and websites keep timing out.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There's no obvious problems showing up on your account and no major outages showing at your exchange. Did the BT speedtest ask you to run the second and third tests? If so what speeds did you get on them?

Looking at the BT speed history there's no recent changes showing so I can't explain the interleaving change but the system can be a few hours behind so it may show up later. It could well be related but I wouldn't expect a speed that low just from Interleaving switching off.

Best thing to do is try the tests a few more times and see if it changes, if you can try different hardware then please do so and then raise it as a fault and we can investigate.
fatdeeman
Grafter

I can't get the second test (the bt_test_user@ one) to run because it keeps timing out.

I've tried a speedtouch 330 usb modem as well and get the same result although with a slightly lower snych but it always connects at a lower rate than my router so there's nothing unusual there.

Not sure what else it could be or if it's worth raising a fault considering i'm moving house shortly.

Could it have anything to do with the router being unplugged for a few days? the speed profile has been a solid 6000 since i got set up here but since the router was turned off and back on it's dropped to 4500.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Shouldn't be anything to do with the router being unplugged- your IP profile is fine. What method are you using to connect to the router, what model router do you have, where is it connected in the house (by the master socket?), is the firmware as up to date as it could be? Have you made any changes to equipment on your telephone line, new Sky box or fax machine?

Is the speed always this slow, or is it intermittent?