cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spam warning email...

N/A

spam warning email...

hello, we've received an email as reproduced below. We have several customer who we have recommend to you and also manage on your behalf, and we cannot tell from the email which account it relates to - is there any way of finding out before we or they get cut off ??

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that a source of unsolicited email has been linked to your account with us. This could have one of several possible causes, including those in the following list:

- You are running an insecure SMTP relay or proxy software
- Your PC is infected by an email virus, worm or trojan
- You have a web server with an insecure Formmail script
- You are yourself sending unsolicited email

The sending of unsolicited email (Spam) is strictly prohibited under the Terms and Conditions of service under which your account is provided. While we accept that most such occurrences are inadvertant, it is your responsibility to ensure that computers you connect to the Internet through us are configured securely and kept free of viruses.

An abuse management case is currently open against your account regarding this matter. Please read the following and take any remedial measures that are required:

- If you run your own mail server software, ensure that it is configured only to relay mail for your computer or computers' specific IP addresses.

- If you operate a web proxy, IP proxy, or connection sharing software of any other sort, ensure that it is configured to proxy only for your computer or computers' specific IP addresses.

- Make sure that any server software you run, including the above, is securely configured and has all recommended fixes and security updates applied.

- Make sure that any computer or computers that run Microsoft Windows have an appropriate and up-to-date Anti-Virus solution installed. We also strongly recommend that you employ a personal Firewall.

When you believe you have resolved the problem, you should use the Help Assistant on the customer web portal to inform us that you have done so. Please use Help Assistant and do not reply to this mail directly, as questions raised to us through the portal are linked to your account and can be dealt with more speedily and efficiently.

Any other queries you may have about the content of this mail can also be passed to us through the Help Assistant, and we will be glad to help you resolve any issue you may have.

Please note that if you do not respond to this warning, your account may be suspended.

The Help Assistant can be found here:

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html (click on Customer Services & Billing).

Further information on our Acceptable Usage Policy can be found here:

http://portal.plus.net/info2/legal/aup.html

Regards,
PlusNet Abuse Team
9 REPLIES
N/A

spam warning email...

If you check the email addresses which the mail was sent to, it should have both your address (assuming you have your's entered on each account if you are managaging them) plus the default address for the account in question.

eg postmaster@username.plus.com

To confirm, once you have logged in as that user, you can check by visiting the Help and Support section, and checking the tickets for that account.
The email you have received will be recorded as a ticket on the account in question. It may be open, or closed, so be prepared to select closed tickets from the drop down list.
N/A

spam warning email...

If PN have this correct (and we don't know they do) how come they don't stop POP/SMTP for that account and phone the customer and change the account name?

Also, how come PN seem to have such bad problems with spam?
N/A

spam warning email...

Over the past 6 months I have has 2 such messages. On both occations I have ensured all my security arrangements eg firewall, anti virus, anti malware etc are all functioning and up to date. I then informed PlusNet and all was well. It still concerns me however that I still receive mail as 'returned undeliverable' and is the usuall such as supposedly comeing from helahdysla@mydonmainname.co.uk Clearly I dont have an address of helahdysla . My fear is that where ever this is originating is going to someone who raises an abuse report which then gets back to me. Is there anywhere I can go to learn, in simple terms, how to read headers so that I can get to the bottom of the problem?
carrot63
Grafter

spam warning email...

If you own a domain, there doesnt seem to be a great deal you can do about this, as all that's involved is a spammers knowledge that your domain exists. They then just use an existing user or manufacture a spurious one, on the basis I suppose that an as yet unblacklisted domain is more likely to squeeze their rubbish past a spam filter.

SPF (sender policy framework) is supposed to protect you and recipients from this, but its not widely implemented. If you can figure out how you are supposed to implement it, can you give me a tutorial in simple language please!

I doubt somehow that Plusnet would punish someone who has this problem with a domain, as there is nothing the user can do to prevent it.
N/A

spam warning email...

Seems as if there does require some reading and also if PLusNet publish SPF records. Maybe something to investigate however.
carrot63
Grafter

spam warning email...

It does seem to be the only game in town for this issue, but it needs wider adoption and a far friendlier implementation before the average punter will use it.
whisky
Grafter

spam warning email...

According to http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=plus.com the plus.com domain does not have an SPF record:-

"WARN SPF record Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record ASAP, as 01 Oct 2004 was the target date for domains to have SPF records in place (Hotmail, for example, started checking SPF records on 01 Oct 2004)"

Would someone from Plusnet care to comment?
N/A

spam warning email...

Perhaps the comment to PLusNet if anyone receives a email as I have and mayday has, after checking all security is in place, would be to indicate that as PlusNet does not have an SPF record there is nothing further that can be done. It would be nice to have a comment from PLusNet.
N/A

spam warning email...

Hi there.

SPF crops up from time to time on the forums and has been discussed as recently as 13 September.

This thread has the details.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34512&highlight=spf