cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sorry to be leaving f9

N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

I'm sorry to say that I have finally decided to leave f9, after an email informing me that limits have been applied to our account.

I fully supported the FUP that was introduced and then withdrawn in August. I half supported the SUP (but not the way it was introduced) although I thought the limits were a bit tight. But the recent introduction of a Traffic Shaping Policy (again through the back door?) with further download restrictions and a different peak time to the SUP is just way too complicated.

Throughout these constant changes to the T&Cs, f9 has reassured its customers that only the top 1% of high-end users who constantly abuse the service will be affected. We have dowloaded less than 100gb in 3 months (less than 50gb peak) and have had restrictions applied to our account. This does not seem to me to be an abuse of an 'unlimited' broadband service.

I think f9 has seriously misjudged the situation. They offered the world at an unrealistic price and are now suffering the consequences. It would be much simpler if they just held their hands up, admitted they got it wrong and put up their prices or introduced hard caps- I would respect them for that. Instead, all this messing about with soft caps so they can still claim their product is unlimited is just politics.

I am leaving f9 because:

1. I no longer trust f9 as a company.
2. The new 2mb service is much slower than my old 512kb service with f9- F9 is now an expensive ISP providing a poor BB experience.
3. I don't want the hassle of continually checking my usage in case I've exceeded my (unlimited) download limit, only to find out f9 have changed the limits again and not bothered to tell me.
4. Its just too complicated, too much like hard work, and too difficult to keep up with.
5. I don't beleive (as f9 claim) that all ISPs will have to follow their lead. Even if this turns out to be true there are still ISPs out there at the moment offering truly unlimited broadband, and this is the service I signed up to with f9.
6. F9 has stopped listening to (and therefore stopped valuing) its customers.
7. I feel for the new customers who are signing up with f9 for unlimited BB only to find out it isn't. This is not the way an honest company conducts business. Sure they should read the T&C's but who does?

Bye all- xxx
16 REPLIES
N/A

Re: sorry to be leaving f9

7. I feel for the new customers who are signing up with f9 for unlimited BB only to find out it isn't. This is not the way an honest company conducts business.

Especially if they signed up for "FREE" hardware and are tied in or pay penalties.

I to have just had restrictions placed on my account.

32gig total usage of which less than 10gig would have fallen in the old peak time band. I can't see 8.00am to 4.00pm being peek apart from business users.
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

Hi,

Force havent advertised anything as being unlimited since late 2004 early 2005 as far as I can remember.
Agreed some of the terminology used caused people to think and perceive packages to appear this way, but the fact remains that they are not advertised as unlimited.

There perhaps are better ways of managing the Network with regards to the high usage as apposed to using softcaps and certain speed levels, but its something that is out of our control.

Regards,
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

Our total usage this month is 36gb but 2/3 of this has been peak time usage, hence the restrictions. It's difficult NoT to have 2/3 peak time usage now because f9 have made it peak time 2/3 of the time. They have doubled the peak time hours stated in the SUP while reducing the dl limit by 1/3.
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

raynerandrayner,

the extended peak time period is only for protocols FTP , P2P, and USENET. Everything else, such as http, https, VoIP, Gaming etc etc etc will remain as 4PM - Midnight Peak.

Further more this extended peak time period is only Temporary while the automated system is being created and implemented.
On the downside though you still face having that 20GB cap for FTP, P2P and USENET once peak times go back to normal. Leaving you with 10GB to use between http and the rest.

Regards,
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

Genuine thanks for the information hsnetwork. It's just a shame that no-one's told me before. I don't think it would have a made a difference tho.

And you've got to admit - it is pretty complicated :? .

I just want a reliable broadband service that I can use (in a reasonable way) however I want, whenever I want. I don't mind paying a bit more for that level of freedom - that's why I joined f9 in the first place.

I'm not too bothered about having a lightening fast connection- I was much happier on 512kbps with truly unlimited broadband than I am on my restricted 2mb connection and all the complications that have come with it. Seems to me the 512kbps connection was faster in real terms anyway.

And I don't want to have to care about what's in the T&C's - life's too short!
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

raynerandrayner,

I too have to admit it is complicated. I understand it and how it works, but this does not mean everyone does.
I too remember the days of the 512 service back in 2004 when I joined PN. No worries, no fears just use it and enjoy with the only slow down being that caused by either a line fault or a servere contention issue at the exchange.

But as mentioned before the times are changing and theres no way back Sad

Oh well,
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

i hope to be migrating soon. why?

-Crappy ping(s) (Lag).
-FUP/SUP.
-Sneakiness in new policies.
-Supports not that good as it used to be.
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

I too have to admit it is complicated. I understand it and how it works, but this does not mean everyone does.

Not wishing to fan the flames too much..... Surely it is down to a fundamental lack of communication and the continual moving of the goalposts by F9/ +Net why most people don't understand the FUP/ SUP? If the management create a strategy, surely they should be able to create a "Noddy" guide so that everyone understands the implications and that they should be made available BEFORE any changes are made, not weeks afterwards?

It's a bit like buying a rail ticket for £20 and finding on your credit card statement that BR have charged you £25 because the fares have gone up, but they neglected to let anyone know until two weeks after implementation!! Can you imagine the outcry if that happened?

Regards

Mark
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

i just found out im on lvl1 management = me not happy.
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

HI Mark,

The lack of clear timely communications with customers is something that REALLY gets my back up!! and I'm confident I'm NOT alone on that. Yes! I also agree with the points you made and the BR example.

OK! fair enough if a new policy is to be introduced but a good amount of time should be given before a change is made IMO this should be at least 1month preferably more if the changes are big and going to affect all users. Secondly, F9 PN should stop chopping and changing policies as I feel this is what not only upsets users but leads to much confusion.

My third point would be that for any user signing up for a new service or account they should be asked to read or view a simple plain english terms & conditions of use (NOT legaleese thats not understandable to the ordinary person) or any useage policy in place before the sign up is completed, and additionally as a safety measure a T&C or Useage policy email should be sent immediately after sign up is completed so the user can refer to it. PN shouldnt just put this kind of information on the portal & say OK well its there why didnt you read it?. Users wouldnt feel like they didnt know about the policies or T&C's then. The onious should be far more on F9 PN NOT on the user so much.

Ivan
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

ive got my MAC, now just neeed to sign up on UKO Tongue
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

Just got mine too, signing up with Zen.

£35 for unlimited access, plenty of others doing it at this price too. Looks like F9/Plus Net are ,missing the boat and losing customers hand over fist.
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

PN shouldnt just put this kind of information on the portal & say OK well its there why didnt you read it?. Users wouldnt feel like they didnt know about the policies or T&C's then. The onious should be far more on F9 PN NOT on the user so much.

Ivan,

This can very very debatable. For the simple reason it is on the website for all to see and it has been highlighted a lot more. It would be possible to send an email out as soon as someone signs up, but the problem is that the user then could cancel the account with the arguement that they didnt know or have this information before signing up ( unless a dual system is in place where it is in plain view but an email is sent to play things safe ).

Perhaps there could be the usual "Tick box here to agree to the SUP etc etc" on the signup form as well as the T&C's tick box. Place a link right next to the box and before the user can go any further they have had to have ticked that box. This then puts the owness back on the user but in a more user friendly way as it is being pointed out to them.

As for the T&C's... Ive been with PN for very little under 2 years now and im still trying to make sense of them. I think that says it all really. Sad

Regards,
N/A

sorry to be leaving f9

"Tick box here to agree to the SUP etc etc"

I think thats a very good idea for all new customers, it would make it clear to what they are signing up too.