cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slower than 56k on 2 meg line!!!

N/A

hey

through out the whole day of sunday 27th Nov I had the download rate and upload rate worse than a 56k and I have a 2 meg line!!

Downstream 15 Kbps (1.9 KB/sec)
Upstream 13 Kbps (1.6 KB/sec)

taken from adsl guide (which took forever because of the slow connection)

why did this happen? I did recently recieve an email about my usage (doesn't unlimted mean unlimted anymore?) and I would recieve a restriction but I said I would reduce my usage, and the connection was usable the whole day! It seems to be ok now the download rate / upload is back to normal. but why did this happen yesterday, the connection speed was totaly unexceptable

has this happened to anyone else?

please can you tell me why this happened and make sure that it never happens again

thank you for your time
15 REPLIES
N/A

I couldn't even surf over here. Speed checker at adsl guide checked out fine, but accessing external sites from outside the Uk was a slow affair taking sometimes beyond a minute to appear. Never had the chance to actually figure out what the problem was though.
N/A

yep - was dreadful here too. But then we'll get all the usual excuses:

1. It was Sunday and it's always busy.
2. Did you try this tweak and that tweak.

and then we'll get CS say - no, it was fine here followed by the mods saying the same.

Incidentally I found a small tweak for my bit torrent client which has improved things but only because it disguises the traffic - yet more of an indication that p2p is throttled to death on premier.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

P2P is not "throttled to death" on Premier. Sure, it has a lower priority than most other traffic and Sunday is when the network is busiest but there are many Premier customers who are able to get more than acceptable speeds on p2p with their accounts.

With p2p it's absolutely critical how your equipment and the other people who are sharing things equipment is set up, as well as many other factors such as contention at your BT exchange.

We are aware that for some people p2p is not as fast as it could be and we are looking into improving the service for the majority of customers in a similar way to how we have improved the service for the majority of usenet customers.
N/A

I didnt want to use p2p it was just general use of the internet surfing etc which just became impossible with the rediculous download and upload rate as stated above, I dont undestand why this happened, and I would like to be promised that this won;t happen again. I dont expect not being able to use the internet at all for one whole day, and not knowing if it could happen again?

thanks
N/A

Ben

you say " P2P is not "throttled to death" on Premier"
Well what do you call 0.3K/sec to 1.3K/sec if it is not being throttled
I take your point that there are other factors that you have to take into consideration like, who you are downloading from, their upload speed, their equipment etc but I was getting 70K/sec to 90Ksec on a 1meg connection before this Traffic Shaping Policy came into being
There is no way that you are telling me that 0.3K/sec is acceptable!!!
I have completed the Exchange Status Checker and my Bangor Exchange is showing GREEN
I have completed the BT Speed Test and it is showing 950K/sec for a 1meg connection (which I think is good)
I have just tried to download from my favourite P2P program (from a friend that has no Connection/ISP problems) and I have just had to switch it off because the download speed is 0.3K/sec (it is taking hours for to download 1 mp3)
So if P2P is not being throttled to death then what is happening to it?
I see that you say "We are aware that for some people p2p is not as fast as it could be and we are looking into improving the service for the majority of customers " - Brilliant News
My question is When?

Harry Cry Cry Cry Cry
(maybe someday I will be Cheesy )
N/A

Well i joined just a few days ago and i'm a BB+ member and i regularly get download speeds of 230KB/s + so i'm in no quarrels with the service, OK i don't use p2p so can't comment their, but so far service has been wonderful. Thanks PlusNet
N/A

Re: slower than 56k on 2 meg line!!!

hey

through out the whole day of sunday 27th Nov I had the download rate and upload rate worse than a 56k and I have a 2 meg line!!

Downstream 15 Kbps (1.9 KB/sec)
Upstream 13 Kbps (1.6 KB/sec)

taken from adsl guide (which took forever because of the slow connection)

why did this happen? I did recently recieve an email about my usage (doesn't unlimted mean unlimted anymore?) and I would recieve a restriction but I said I would reduce my usage, and the connection was usable the whole day! It seems to be ok now the download rate / upload is back to normal. but why did this happen yesterday, the connection speed was totaly unexceptable

has this happened to anyone else?

please can you tell me why this happened and make sure that it never happens again

thank you for your time
N/A

P2P is not "throttled to death" on Premier. Sure, it has a lower priority than most other traffic and Sunday is when the network is busiest but there are many Premier customers who are able to get more than acceptable speeds on p2p with their accounts.

What a lot of TOSH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can produce screen shots - We tested this theory..... using p2p

House side by side AOL on 1meg & another 2meg on Plusnet (prem), I mean come on for god sake AOL !!!!! beating a plusnet connection that is so SAD !

Plusnet connection barley went above 6k but the same file on AOL hit around 95k +

WHY tell us so much lies HuhHuhHuh??

Just because you work for such a crap company does not entitle you to tell us lies.
N/A

@ lindamears,

Hi there,

There are three lines in your post which are neither constructive or necessary.

Whilst you are more than entitled to air your grievances, unconstructive posts help no-one.

Pleas keep your comments reasoned, constructive and factual.

Thanks.
N/A

Plusnets customers only get unhappy when either

We are provided with a service that is poor.
or Customer Service tells us words that are untrue.

bbrown had stated a fact that is untrue and can be easily proven, customers are posting in hope that problems are resolved but are going round in swings and round abouts.

I have also noticed a slow down in posts from this notice board and have moved onto the adsl guide boards.

People only produce un-constructive posts when they are fed up and unhappy.
N/A

People only produce un-constructive posts when they are fed up and unhappy

I do understand that and appreciate that anger can creep in. However whilst some are seeing poor speeds with P2P apps, others are reporting better speeds. So we cant really question the truthfulness of a statement when it is only based on personal experience. Your opinion and experience may differ, but that does not make it a lie.

There are so many factors which can affect P2P that sometimes it cant all be blamed on PN.

Ultimately they have said that they are working to make improvments and that to me acknowledges that the realise that some customers are less than happy.

Maybes best to give them the benefit of the doubt and see what transpires.
N/A

Bare with me a sec I'm about to post a question into the ADSL Guide and try to produce a test for P2P using plusnet customers & other providers.

To get a good picture please follow the post to : ---- (find below)

and we'll see what other customers on other internet providers are geting.

follow link to produce test I've also posted into Zen forum.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2158969&page=0&view=collapsed...
N/A

Someone thats Using Zen has posted me this - he's on a 1 meg connection.

N/A

Although that a bit blurred, it looks like a torrent as opposed to P2P

As I understand it some torrents are producing better results than say Limewire Emule etc.

Might be worth comparing the two.