cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow usenet and bittorrent speeds - start of billing month

N/A

Hi, today is the beginning of my billing month and my bittorrent speeds are about 15Kbps and my usenet speeds are about 30Kbps. Why is it so slow when it should be going as if there are no restrictions? My http speeds seem normal.
25 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Have you been seeing similar speeds over the last week or so, or is this a recent change for you?
N/A

off peak speeds have been good this past week. I noticed the slow speed when I started a download in usenet a while ago, and then when I downloaded a torrent to see the speed of a download on that, it was the same. Like I said it is the first day of a new billing month so all speed restrictions should be set back to normal
James
Grafter

N/A

it shouldn't affect me, my usage this billing month is below 13GB peak rate and off peak rate.
James
Grafter

No, you're missing my point. The reason why I asked you to look at the link is because is describes how we handle internet traffic. We make sure that web pages are treated with a higher priority than, say, Usenet downloads.

Because of this, you may see slow P2P/Usenet downloads during peak times of the day.
N/A

but it isn't peak time at the moment (well it will be in about 10 minutes) but I've been experiencing this since I woke up at 1 today
James
Grafter

It's the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday. I'd call that peak time.
N/A

LOL. You know you're in some sort of parallel universe when someone comes along and asks a couple of innocent questions and you can just see his eyebrows furrowing when he reads the answers Smiley

bmiah, the point is that Plusnet have a serious capacity problem at the moment except possibly in the middle of the night. "Peak" is therefore most of the day and Plusnet have decided that although you have 13Gb, you are not allowed to use it on P2P/Usenet.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

It's the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday. I'd call that peak time.

aah,

c'mon james me old mate,

you know peak time is 4pm - 12am as stated by PN.

you don't want to open a whole new can of worms Cry
James
Grafter

That's a bit different and your know it Wink

Kids are home from school, which I classify as peak time...
N/A

That would be when you want to use it most then.... when you are awake for example, trying to upload your web updates or perhaps use an online gaming community. silly us.
N/A

James,

Are you seriously suggesting that as paying customers for an 8mb line, we should put up with usenet download speeds of 30k/second during the time designated by Plusnet as "off peak"?

Yes, i'm aware that it might slow down during Saturday as people are using their connections etc, but 30k/sec!!!

I'm a new customer to Plusnet and this isn't very encouraging Sad
N/A

usenet currently a pathetic 13kbs, and torrents, don't get me started. what gives +net? its not peak for another 30 mins and it's been like this all morning.
N/A

Yip Iam having the same issues UN about 5-10 and torrents about the same, I get this most of the time.

I would say this is peak time, in terms of traffic. but not in the PN model.

So I would expect a speed issue about this time, but it would seem that UN and P2P is affected the most.

I watch stream from various zources and they seem to be ok. No buffer etc, so I know my connection is clean. Seems like throttling to meSad