cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds

johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

I have raised a fault about the slow speed of my connectionbut the response is that there is no problem. BT speedchecker gives the following result.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 104 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

I included this in the fault report but don't think a human ever actually reads them. The responses all read like something computer generated.

A real response would be appreciated.

John

Forgot to post the ticket number :-22347717
27 REPLIES
kreynolds
Grafter

slow speeds

Just out of interest, are you on the thn-ag3 gateway? I'm seeing a big speed slowdown on this gateway which is currently shared by BT and LLU connections.

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

No, I am on "Telehouse East, Juniper 42 gateway.

Got a response this morning asking me to perform the bt speed checks which I had already informed support had been done. This just confirms that they don't bother to actually read the ticket but just bat it back to the customer with a standard response to keep their response number up. Crap customer relations.

john
Mand
Grafter

slow speeds

Hi there,

BT reduced your profile speed on 09/07/07, to the 135k profile. This is usually done when you have a period of syncing at a very low speed.

Ordinarily this increases within a few days of returning to a higher sync speed, this should happen in your case by tomorrow.

If this is not the case (you will need to reboot your equipment for any changes to take effect), please contact us further so that we can raise a fault to BT for you.
Community Veteran

slow speeds

Well unfortunately mine is still utter garbage - gone 1am, so into quiet time now..

synch is 4096kbps, ip profile 3500, and throughput - 100kbps if Im lucky.

Gaming very laggy, downloading pointless, and web browsing like Im using a dialup. Once again, nothing what so ever has changed in my home, but the throughput is through the floor. Let me guess - bt will want to come and test from my house again... what a shocker. Nothing what so ever to do with their side of the equipment oh no....

Its beyond a joke now, I honestly think it will be easier to move house than have my line fixed.

If it carries on much longer then I may as well can broadband alltogether as its just pointless if BT cant be a little more flexible when it comes to trying to fix this.
echoecho
Dabbler

slow speeds

I've had a stable ~4736-4900 sync speeds for 4 weeks or more and 3800-3900 kbps actual speed achieved.

Then on Friday the connection fell away to ~600 sync speeds and of course I am now locked at a sync speed of 500 kbps (485 actual). The downstream rate is so unstable as to be useless at the moment.

Now I know all about LLU unbundling, but selling a service which is more intensive in terms of the time I need to spend on it and resulting (over one of the busiest weekends of the year for me) in speeds of a quarter I was getting on my previous non-LLU 2Mb line is not what I would call good.

Can I move back to the "slower" but more reliable non-LLU line?
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

I have rebooted but still at 135k. i have updated the ticket

John
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

Still getting nowhere with this. Early in the week I ran speedtester again and found my ip profile had been changed from 135 to 500kbps with download speeds of about 450kbps. finally got a reply from support saying that they were going to get a Bt engineer to call but that if BT say the fault is my side them i may be charged 144 + vat for the call out. i have tried the adsl modem direct into the master socket but now cannot get a response from the speedtester site. Probably just too busy so I will try again early tomorrow.

can someone please explain how the ip profile speed is set. Surely i will not see any improvement while it is set to 500kbps?

Have updated the ticket 3 times today but no sensible reply.

John
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

slow speeds

I've just done a quick test down your line and can that you are now syncing at 8128.
Looks like the last delta report was on the 16th which kept your line at 500, as long as there hasn't been a low sync since then the next delta report should be any time over the next 24 hours or so and this should up your IP profile again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

Managed to connect to speedtester and get this result(still plugged into master socket)

"Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 451 kbps"
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

slow speeds

Yep, this fits in with what I said above. As the profile is still at 500 on BTs side you won't see speeds above this. This is the most commonly complained about feature of MaxDSL that it takes 3 days for speeds to increase again after a drop.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

so why is an appointment for a BT engineer being arrangedHuhHuh? and why was this this not told to me in the ticketHuhHuh?
Mand
Grafter

slow speeds

Basically, you have been syncing at above 500k for more than the 3 days usually required to lift your profile.

We need to push BT to up the profile to reflect your sync speed, although an engineer should not be required to do this. Once BT's Service Centre opens we'll give them a call and see if we can get this sorted for you.
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

Still at 500kbps. Every time I run speedtester it shows a connection rate of ever 8000kbps so why did it only go up to 500?

John
johnboy48
Dabbler

slow speeds

IP profile still at 500 kbps with a connection at 8128 kbps.

No one at home at BT then?Huh