cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speeds after 1 day of being put on 8meg

andy020
Grafter

is it normal to have really low speeds of 500kps after just being put onto 8meg and if it is will it last for 10days?
8 REPLIES
N/A

its plusnet's new premier internet service for the demanding 21st century user! whilst everyone else is wasting their time progressing, finding new and exciting ways of enjoying their broadband experience, plusnet are busy discovering new and innovative ways of regressing, making you value the things you used to be able to do with your internet connection in 1996! look towards a brighter future with plusnet!!
andy020
Grafter

ok.. well that is all good but it don't answer the question i asked..
N/A

sorry, i dont mean to be a pain in the arse
mineview
Dabbler

I was switched to adlsMax 7 days ago. My router has reported downstream sync speeds between 5 and 6Mbit/sec ever since. Speed tests over the same period have shown a consistent upward trend since day 1. Day one around 2M/bits, day 7 around 4Mbits.
Given that I am around 6km, as the cables hang, from the exchange, I am pleasantly surprised at the speed s I am getting.

It is also worth saying I have not experienced instability or frequent disconnections reported by others elsewhere in these forums.

Oh yes and the kids report much reduced lag on X-Box Live.

So far, for me at least PN appear to have got this right.
N/A

its plusnet's new premier internet service for the demanding 21st century user! whilst everyone else is wasting their time progressing, finding new and exciting ways of enjoying their broadband experience, plusnet are busy discovering new and innovative ways of regressing, making you value the things you used to be able to do with your internet connection in 1996! look towards a brighter future with plusnet!!

thats some funny stuff seriously funny, good work! :mrgreen:
N/A

Andrew,

5 days after the upgrade for me, and I currently am expereiencing the same thing. I had 1.5 MB before the upgrade, and now have on average 475 Kb after (0.5 MB). I've seen it flucuate a bit, and have rebooted my modem a number of times as they recommended.

I'm patiently waiting the 10 days as they asked me to, with the hopes that it gets better.

Thanks!

Kev
N/A

I have only been able to get the 1Mb service up till now because, I was told, I am so far from the exchange (about 4km). My connection is currently being upgraded and is in the middle (well day 7 to be precise)of the 10-day test period. The highest speed I've seen when doing a speed test was 2080 and most of the time seems to be anywhere between 1300 and 1850. I certainly haven't seen speeds any higher than that so I'm really envious of someone who is 6Km away from their exchange and getting 4 to 4.5 Meg!!!
N/A

Hello Fellow Plusneters,

I am also experiencing painfully slow internet speeds which have been confirmed by the Plusnet speed checker. This is consistently indicating a speed of around 129Kbps which falls far below an acceptable level and is only marginally better than dual-channel basic rate ISDN.

Here's a brief history of my experiences with Plusnet:-

Initial line tests indicated that I was not able to obtain a 1MB service, therefore I was provided with a 0.5MB connection.

I was later upgraded to a 1MB speed without any prior notification from Plusnet. This caused serious problems due to the long line length from the exchange to my house. This is around 5.5-6km which is on the border line in terms of a reliable 1MB service. My modem could not maintain a connection with the C.O. The B.T engineer confirmed this was the case as around 60dB of noise was present on the line. He removed the 'ring' part of the house phone line which was acting as an antenna for the line noise. This lowered the line noise level sufficiently enough to give a reliable connection on the 1MB service.

If Plusnet/B.T have yet again upgraded the line speed, this is most certainly the cause of my speed problem. I see from the Plusnet user forum that I am not alone in experiencing recent speed problems. Many of Plusnet's customers are not satisfied with the level of support and are looking to change their ISP. I am also researching and looking at alternative providers who can firstly offer a more reliable service and in many cases also at lower cost.

DSL services are often blindly upgraded in the exchange without consideration for the biggest problem in the U.K DSL network, C.O to CPE line length.

I have spent far too many hours researching this particular speed problem and trying everything possible to fix it at my end. I am paying for a service that Plusnet as my ISP is not delivering. Now it is time for Plusnet/B.T to take responsibility, admit there is a service problem and to resolve this ASAP.

Regards,

Simon.