cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow, slow, slow

ukbrown
Grafter

slow, slow, slow

Just did a speed test and got rubbish results. Normally get 1800 ish, just got half that, tried again got a bit more.

Is it me or is it that the move to 8MB for some customers has overloaded the already near the limit Plusnet network.
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

slow, slow, slow

Hi,

There could be a number of reasons for a slower than normal speed. Best thing to do if it persists is to try the BT Speedtester

http://usertools.force9.net/tutorials/id/27

and see if that gives the same or different speeds which should show where the speed issue lies.
N/A

slow, slow, slow

Don't worry.. You're not the only one.

I can now download at onlt about 10-20kps and its realling pi$$ing me off to put it frankly. The BT speed test returned fine and I havnt changed any hardware configuration. I did sent a ticket to support a few days a go, and it has been sent to the faults department and I havnt had a reply from it for ages..
N/A

slow, slow, slow

Something is wrong tonight here as well

I have been on 4mb for the last 4 months, then over the last 2-3 days, i have been getting 500k to 1500k :twisted:
N/A

slow, slow, slow

you sure you not used your bandwidth for the month Smiley

from reading other posts it looks like a possible f9 issue again

they seem to be having quite a few problems recently
N/A

slow, slow, slow

Umm i'm having problems staying connected - as soon as I launch a game my internet cuts out, and when it's on it's extremely slow
N/A

slow, slow, slow

AAhhemm,

Could I suggest that the problems you're mentioning are related to a specific internet service & hence a specific protocol. I havent myself had any slow downs as such & my speed test results have been consistently OK in the last few days (to a week)but I'm only using http & email. I'm wondering if the problem is purely to do with gaming or P2P??

Ivan
N/A

slow, slow, slow

...thisis really hacking me off...

Got my "8mb" upgrade - started off with the modem reporting nearly 8mb... measure the bandwidth with F9's tester... and Im getting less that nexpected for a half meg connection.

Rebooted the modem again, and its down to just over a 6mb sync... and bandwidth is now around 3mb... better....but still pants.

Reboot again... now the modem is at 5mb... and bandwidth down to half a meg again!!

Is this normal during the initial sync period!??!!?

DJ
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

slow, slow, slow

I have been on 4mb for the last 4 months, then over the last 2-3 days, i have been getting 500k to 1500k :twisted:

Hi Jeremy,

If it's normal out of peak hours then it might be exchange side contention kicking in. It's worth checking the exchange checker

http://usertools.force9.net/exchanges/

to see if there are any known problems, and try the BT speedtester to see if that's the same. If the problem persists I'd suggest raising a ticket via the automated fault checker to see if the support team can see any problems.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

slow, slow, slow

Umm i'm having problems staying connected - as soon as I launch a game my internet cuts out, and when it's on it's extremely slow

That's strange, does the connection just disconnect (or lose sync) or do you just lose any and all data transfer?

Which game are playing and what sort of ADSL modem/router do you have?

Does it cut out at any other time or just with one particular game?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

slow, slow, slow

Is this normal during the initial sync period!??!!?

I don't think it's too abnormal, but I don't think it's common to see that much fluctuation.

If you can (or haven't already), it might be worth trying the modem/router at the master socket and disconnect everything else from the line and see if that makes a difference.

For the first 10 days BT's system will be checking your line to establish the maximum stable rate so speeds may change, but it's worth just doing a quick once over on everything your side to make sure there's no unfiltered devices on the line, or that any extension cables are OK just in case. A bit of excess "noise" on the line before from something may not have caused any problems before, especially on a good line, but might be enough now to cause what you are seeing.

If it's all OK then I'd say leave it for a few days and let the systems work out the maximum stable rate and see if that improves it.