cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

since when has mail from amazon.co.uk been spam?

bluewhale
Grafter

as you're marking it as such

and when are we going to get our new emails/logons

since it's clear my old mail is now spammed to death and i don't trust your spam filter
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Judging by most of the rubbish I get from Amazon - I would agree with that definition Smiley
Typical - a new book to buy - but I have already bought it and just because a new edition has come out doesn't mean I want to buy it again.
Laser
Grafter

We get this sort of problem with the spam-filter where I work. It means either someone has told it that (from their POV) mail from Amazon is spam, or the system has identified a large amount of traffic going to many addresses from that sender.

Actually, sometimes I wonder if spammers deliberately try to poison spam filters so as to make people not want to use them. :shock:
Community Veteran

It can also be words in the subject or main body that trigger the spam filter.

False positives (as this is often referred to) is just part of the never ending battle with the spammers who try to find ways around spam filters and the spam filters try to pre-empt future methods and sometimes get it wrong.

Just send it to the nospam address with complete headers and it should then be allowed through in future.
Community Veteran

Just send it to the nospam address with complete headers and it should then be allowed through in future.

Just to clarify for others, Peter means notspam@despamchecker.plus.com (it is 'notspam' and not 'nospam').
bluewhale
Grafter

so are we going to get new email adresses anytime soon?
chrisc
Grafter

New usernames can now be requested via the help assistant.

Account management>>Request that my username is changed.

Please read all the information detailing the process and timescales for changing your username.
bluewhale
Grafter

having read the notes I see it's recommended that I don't do this but use one of the other options

1. new payg account
2. new free .uk domain

Can you tell me what the pros and cons are of these 2 options.

certainly the .uk looks tempting, but will it have all the same support as i get now, eg unlimited email addresses, fre web space?

is this being discussed elsewhere?
toby1
Grafter

bluewhale Posted: 17 Jun 2007 11:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

having read the notes I see it's recommended that I don't do this but use one of the other options

1. new payg account
2. new free .uk domain

Can you tell me what the pros and cons are of these 2 options.

certainly the .uk looks tempting, but will it have all the same support as i get now, eg unlimited email addresses, fre web space?

is this being discussed elsewhere?

I too would be interested if someone could answer this.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Each of the other two options has it's advantages and disadvantages.

A free PAYG account will remain independent from your ADSL account (so in theory can be changed at will) and will offer SPAM filtering, additional mailboxes and all the things you would expect. It doesn't have as much webspace as a broadband account though, and would have no link to your broadband account.

A free .uk domain name means you get new email addresses without changing your account or connection details. You can have unlimited email addresses and can use it for your website also (usually meaning a more catchy address than www.username.plus.com) and can be moved with you should you decide to move ISP in the future (a guaranteed email address if you like). The mail would be delivered to your existing mailboxes (or new ones if you'd prefer to start afresh). The domain would take up one of the available hosting 'slots' on your account (how many you can host depends on your package type).

I hope that clarifies things a little, but please shout up if you have any further questions.
Midville
Grafter

Mand, what is the correct procedure for getting this free domain. Might save lots of questions later on.
waldron
Grafter

Mand - I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer. Do you have to actually sign in to the free PAYG account every so often (eg. every 90 days) to retain it as being active. Or is it just sufficient to check for email regularly.
I ask because I would only want it for the email facility but no longer have a dial-up modem.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

You don't need to dial-up, simply checking the email via POP3 or webmail would be fine.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
waldron
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
N/A

Worth noting that if you sign up for the free domain name, which will be hosted by PlusNet, then your mail will still be delivered to the same mailboxes- i.e. mail to fred@domainname.co.uk will be delivered to the same mailbox as fred@username.plus.com.

So, in order to not receive spam in the mailbox-
a) you have to change your mailbox name to something else i.e. frederick@domainname.co.uk
b) you have to set filtering in your e-mail client(s) to delete anything sent to the fred@username.plus.com address
c) PlusNet have to remove the link between domain and username mailboxes.