cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simultaneous access possible?

N/A

Hi all,

I'm on the Broadband Premier connecting through a router at home where I have a small network. I'm wondering if it is possible for me to dial-in from a laptop when away from home using the Plusnet PAYG 0845 number and access my home network or, if I tried that, would the connection at home get dropped while I used the laptop dial-in making it impossible to establish the conneciton to my network?

Cheers
Graham
8 REPLIES
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

If you mean what i think you mean Remote access then try this web site...

www.logmein.com install on the machine you want to access
Community Veteran

another viable option is http://openvpn.net/
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you just want remote access to particular machines then I'd recommend using Remote Desktop, however I believe this is only included with Windows XP Professional.

As you're on Premier you'll have a static IP which makes things easier, you'll just have to port forward 3389 to the relevant private IP on your network from the router. You can download the client software from Microsoft, and then just connect to your IP address.

If you want full access to all machines on a network then you'll need to set up a VPN, of which I've never done before so have no idea on how to do it - but I am sure others can help you there.
N/A

Not quite what I meant.

The stuff for connecting from a remote location is all sorted. I've got it all set such that I can connect to my home network from remote locations - e.g. via someone else's Internet-connected network or from a separate dial-up account.

The problem I've noted is that if I dial-in to Plusnet from the laptop using the 0845 number - and my normal account name and password - the static IP gets applied to the laptop. I probably should have been clearer [Sorry!] and said: Do I need a separate dialup account for the laptop or is there some other way to dial in to Plusnet from the laptop to so that the home network remains connected with the static IP it normally uses?
N/A

Perhaps I misread the question, but I thought the OP was asking whether he could log into his PN account in more than one place simultaneously, rather than asking about creating VPN's etc.

Anyhow, thats the question I'll answer!
In theory its possible, and on a couple of occasions its worked for me, however I have had some issues in other cases too.
I'm pretty sure you are only allowed to have one connection according to the T's andd C's.

Perhaps the best way to avoid any issue would be to sign up for a free PAYG Dial-up account with PN. Keep it seperate and you should have no issue. Its the way I've done it in the past (for lots of things, including VPN access)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Ah ok, I see now.

Yes I believe you'll need to sign up for a new dial-up account for the laptop, as I remember reading that the dial-up account will be given the same static IP as your broadband, giving you two different connections with the same IP, which isn't good :?
N/A

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Cheers
Graham
Community Veteran

I can confirm that you can not be connected to the PlusNet network using the same username twice, as both connections will be offered the same IP address.

I managed to prove this yesterday by having my personal PC dialled in the 0808 number, and my company laptop on my business line on the 0845 number, as the same time.

As James suggests sign up for a dial-up pay-as-you-go account, which is free. As long as you collect the e-mail PlusNet will keep the account open.

Chilly