cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silly web bandwidth

N/A

silly web bandwidth

I've just been told by a friend that my web site has been removed -- Er. Thanks for letting me know plus net! It'd be nice to be told before you go and delete my entire site.

Fishing around the contact us page for clues as to bandwidth limits here, I came across a message from some plusnet bloke stating I'd used " A grand total of 17177 MB." -- in the last 4 days!

whats that, an average of 4gig a dayHuh?

Are you really sure? I can't understand how my site has used around 4 gig a day. My site isn't that popular, there's some images on it , a couple of 400k swfs, there might even be an animated gif... or two -- 4 gig a day!?! It's not like I'm not hosting Kill Bill divxs here, heck even then I'd say I'd struggle to reach 4 gig a day!!

I'd like to know a couple of things:

your web site bandwidth limits.
if you're ever planning on putting my site back up
do you know how to use email

I'm really pissed off that you've just turned my site off without even bothering to let me know.

anyone know any proper web hosts?

love

x
9 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

silly web bandwidth

"You are allowed 250Mb of bandwidth per day for page views and downloads from your Web space." from the AUP
Ianwild
Grafter

silly web bandwidth

Hi,

The Webstats Tool should give you an indication of what files caused this problem. The bandwidth limits are described in our Webspace Usage AUP. Effectively this allows for a website bandwidth transfer level of 7.5GB per month on a residential product.

We have two procedures, based on how much bandwidth a customer is using. In the case of a slight infringment we will email a customer asking them to reduce usage or agree to a payment of £2.99 per extra GB of data transferred. Where usage is affecting other customers or is causing our bandwidth to 'burst' (And subsequently costing us money), we will withdraw the site immediately and then investigate. We do send out the emails in relation to this and given that the site was only taken down earlier this afternoon that is still ongoing - You will have the email shortly I'm sure.

Your webspace can be restored, provided you agree to remove whatever content was causing the high bandwidth usage. Details of this process are here.

With Regards,

Ian
csogilvie
Grafter

silly web bandwidth

You can't close a URL with [/aup] Ian Wink
Ianwild
Grafter

silly web bandwidth

You can't close a URL with [/aup] Ian Wink

Shockedops: Whoops! You can't do much with [/aup] I see.

That is called end of a long hard day syndrome.
N/A

silly web bandwidth

> You will have the email shortly I'm sure.

Well it's a bit late now isn't it. Shortly? I'm going to get an automated response god knows when. It's too late now anyway, I know my sites dead now!! You should have told me the second you'd done it, It should be part of the process of closing down sites. 1. delete entire site, 2. put up plusnet advert / message about bandwidth abuse. 3. email actual owner of said site. I shouldn't have had to find out myself.

Every other place I've had sites will email well before any bandwidth over use, they'd send a warning... "hi, do you know you're close to your limit, take it down or pay up. etc. etc.". There's never any need to shut the site down, as I'd sort it myself. Everyone's happy. You'd probably even be able to automate it, heck even delay the email by a day or so after you'd spotted the potential over use if you like.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Argumentative marks removed. Think twice before posting in this nature again.]
N/A

silly web bandwidth

Limits are by the day. Some sites easily approach this every day, thus mails would be firing out and wasting bandwidth.

The e-mail will ahve been generated at the same time the information in the link:contact us was. These two systems are tied together.
N/A

silly web bandwidth

If the site is important, and needs to be running 24/7, I wouldn't suggest hosting with your ISP, no matter who they are. That's what dedicated hosting companies are for.
N/A

silly web bandwidth

Limits are by the day. Some sites easily approach this every day, thus mails would be firing out and wasting bandwidth.

Lets say if the bandwidth was approaching a daily value of a so called 4 GIGABYTES , maybe an email could be trigged to warn the customer of the impending doom.

The e-mail will ahve been generated at the same time the information in the <a href="http://contactus.plus.net">Contact Us</a> was. These two systems are tied together.

Hmm.I still haven't obtained the email
-- Note to staff : I don't actually need the email now guys, I'm well aware of the siutation, so no need to grapple with the hard slog of pressing that send button. Cheers anyway guys

Now I'm really offf.

Good bye^h^h^h riddence.
Community Veteran

silly web bandwidth

In that case, you won't mind me locking this thread, and editing out the argument.

Thomas