cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signup before cancelling existing ISP?

N/A

My friend is with fast24, and they won't supply him with his MAC code, so he's going to have to cancel and sign up with plusnet as a new customer.

My friend is asking if he is able to sign up with plusnet before his line is cancelled, I'm assuming to try and speed things up so he doesnt lose internet access for too long.
6 REPLIES
N/A

No, the line needs to be clear of the ADSL service before PN can provide it on the same line. This is why the MAC system exists, it allows for some commonality between the outgoing ISP, the incoming ISP, and BT.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why won't they issue him a MAC code? If he is in dispute with them they may refuse to release the line when he tries to cancel - in which case Plusnet will not be able to place an order on the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sisgroup
Grafter

Well if he ows cash for a bill or somthing they will certenly not release the MAC code but if all his bills are upto date and there arnt any disputes then they are by law required to hand the MAC code over Wink
N/A

apparently fast 24 say that their provider refuse to issue MAC codes. My friend has spoke to the provider of fast24 and they have said that they are in dispute with fast24 at the moment. The provider is netservicesplc by the way, they are in the news lately for suspending fast24's account.
JonathanW
Grafter

Your friend can go ahead and sign up for the account at any time, though whilst the other service is on the line it will unfortunately prevent us from placing the new order. Though once the line is clear then we'll be able to place an order.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really reduce the downtime, and depending on how long it takes for the current provider to remove the connection it could increase the downtime by a day or two. The best thing to do is try and push the current provider to see if they can somehow provide a MAC key
jagger
Grafter

Your mate's problems are due to the spat between fast24 and NetServices,their wholesaler.As alluded to here....

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2656