cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

should I leave my computer on?

N/A

Hello

I am new to Broadband and just wanted to know if there is anything wrong with switching off the p.c. and re-connecting everytime you want to use the internet?

Broadband is described as always on but my family only surf for a a couple of hours a day and it seems a waste of electricity to leave the computer on all the time. Also the p.c. is in the living room and the fan is too loud to leave on all day.
Is there a BT charge each time you connect?
4 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi there,

Disconnecting and reconnecting has no negative implications so I wouldn't worry too much about turning your pc off.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

No, there is no charge for conencting to ADSL. I assume you are using a USB modem? You can connect as many times as you like in a day, it won't affect it.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

No, there's no charge every time you connect. Although you might not be using it all the time, the ADSL is there on your line all the time, so it is really already connected.

To use the internet you just connect to us over the ADSL connection then you can surf the web etc.

There's no problem turning your PC off for a bit, you don't need it on to keep the ADSL there.
N/A

Thank you for your pompt response and answers. I will carry on connecting as and when I need to.