cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up plus net HELP!

N/A

Well theres 8 computers we want to link the internet to. We have ordered a 2MG, Monthly contract and are getting a standard modem with this. What i want to know is what do i need to split my connection 8 ways without going wireless? Do i need to get a new modem or will the one they send work? and what type of router do i need? Thanks
8 REPLIES
ChrisR
Grafter

You'd need a router with 8 ports or more (and a lot of ethernet cable).
ChrisR
Grafter

Oh, and the router they send will only link one computer to the web.
N/A

The modem/router itself doesn't need to have 8 ports. You can connect a switch to it to route traffic around. I haven't set anything like this up myself though, I'm sure others can help.
N/A

Any ADSL router will support more than one client connection, anything else is an ADSL modem which provides the connected machine with the network.

Depending on the router you will need:
1) ADSL router, with an ethernet connection
2) A switch or hub to connect the LAN to the router
3) Possibly a cross-over cable to connect switch/hub to the router
4) Enough cables to connect the PCs to the switch/hub

Wires are optional if you are using wireless access.
JonathanW
Grafter

Personally, I'd suggest going with a switch rather than a hub in order to share the connection. As this cuts down on the number of collisions that occur within the network and makes the traffic flow a little more smoothly, especially if you're wanting to have the computers talk to one another as well as access the internet.
N/A

so i dont need to get a new modem, the one they send will work... just an router and a switch (as well as lots of cables :shock: ) know anywhere i can get a router/switch?
N/A

If you get sent a USB modem then the PC connected to the internet will have to be switched on all the time for internet access to work for all the other PC's.
I usually use www.dabs.com for my PC stuff. You're best off buying a router/modem along with a switch, and some ethernet cables to hook it all up.
N/A

Hi there kimgathard,

Welcome to the forums.

For a guide to selecting the type of kit you need, have a look at this configurator from Netgear

Hopefully it will give you an idea.