cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

service reduction!

N/A

service reduction!

I cam here to ask how long you guys normally expect to wait for a reply from the plusnet tickets. Amazingly i found an identical ticket already posted with not just the same wait time but the same problem. My 8mb line running at 700kbs. Laughably the tos say thats acceptable for a 8mb line. Its 1/3rd the speed i had when it was 2mb. Nobody with their head screwed on would accept 700kbs constantly as acceptable for an 8mb advertised line. I dont expect 8mb but more than 4000kbs would be normal. But 5 days after the automated script says escalated i still await a human response. I have also asked for a migration code and have not received it. Is my experience normal around here?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

service reduction!

Its important to remember that these speeds are within the limits for BTw, they will not do anything unless you speed are outwith BTw's set limits, The reason between the difference in sync speed and throughput speed being so different can be one of many things

Line Condition in your house, and between your house and your exchange

Poor quality filters can be a big thing for slow speeds

using a USB modem can also cause problems as they were never designed for 8mb broadband (USB can't cope with that speed and neither can the modem half the time) also "cheap" routers can sometimes affect your line

If your able to then try plugging a good filter into the test socket in your master socket (unscrew the bottom part of your master socket and the test socket is on the right) and plug your modem/router into there and see what speeds you get, if you get the same speeds then it pretty much rules out any problems with your line in your house.

As for requesting your MAC key, how quickly you receive your MAC depends on if you owe any fees and judging by the length of time you've been with PN you'd owe no or little fees. Also there are only a couple of people within PN who are authorised to generate MAC codes from BT's eCo system but assuming your not on LLU and you don't owe PN anything then you should get your MAC code within a week!
N/A

service reduction!

How long have you been getting these speeds?

In my experience, it can take upto a month after a bad sync for the line to automagically recover :shock:
N/A

service reduction!

its been over a month i would say. Im never clear whether to get it to resinc means its best to leave the router on all the time of keep switching it off. They have to manage you from the xchange so im never quite sure how they do that. The router is ethernet and up to 8mbs. As i said, before the maxdsl i was getting 2 mbs, right up to the limit of the cap. Its not even like im a heavy user and the line is being managed. The quited acceotable speeds have nothing to do with the real world. They quote 400kbs for a maxdsl line. Nobody on this planet would stay with a supplier if thats all they could get. Anyay the real question here is one of customer service. The ticket went in on friday last and there has yet to be a human reposse. That is simply poor.
Community Veteran

service reduction!

you can always ask to get put back to IPstream 2000 which is what you had before, this should restore your speed to what it was before.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

service reduction!

They quote 400kbs for a maxdsl line. Nobody on this planet would stay with a supplier if thats all they could get. Anyay the real question here is one of customer service. The ticket went in on friday last and there has yet to be a human reposse. That is simply poor.

Remember, the acceptable limits are set by BT Wholesale, not the ISP - so you may well get the same problem with any ISP. Accepted, however - the ticket response time is not acceptable.

Do you have line stats for your connection? This might give some clues as the likely problem.

Neil
N/A

service reduction!

im not currently on my machine. Not sure what sats you mean. The plusnet bandwidth checker gave my last 3 tests as

so not much use. Checking on other download tests showed it consistently as 700kbs. Now why would capping it at 2mbs give the higher speed again? Ok my snr would rise but i believe its above 12db now though i need to check on that again.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

service reduction!

Downstream SNR is the key one, although attenuation can highlight specific issues e.g. if the attenuation is very low but the SNR is also very low, this can indicate internal wiring problems.

I'd also suggest you check out the Exchange Status. As an example, the Ramsgate exchange has ongoing virtual path faults that would lead to a probable reduction in performance for users on that exchange.

Neil
N/A

service reduction!

Thanks. I'll check all that out.
N/A

service reduction!

plusnet wont supply my migration code. Well i asked a week ago and they havent bothered replying to the ticket or this forum post.
What recourse do i have?
NigelWood
Grafter

service reduction!

plusnet wont supply my migration code. Well i asked a week ago and they havent bothered replying to the ticket or this forum post.
What recourse do i have?

We replied to your ticket at 7pm this evening. We're perfectly happy to supply a MAC code if it will be of use to you.
N/A

service reduction!

well there you go. You replied to a totally seperate ticket! I had a tciket, and still have an open ticket about speed porblems. Having not had an answer i relaised i need to look elsewhere for service. So i asked for my mac code on that ticket. No reply to that so i started a second and newer ticket asking only for the code. Thats the ticket you replied to. The original problem remains unanswered after 10 days. Need i say more.
N/A

service reduction!

12 days....just wondered what the average wait for a response to a 'line complaint' tickets was..and the record....