Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending email to a smtp server

tarquel
Grafter

Hi all

I have a bit of a annoying problem in that I'm trying to send emails using the smtp of my host, but plusnet sends it back.

Here is the edited version of the returned message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: <snip>
Sent: 25/02/2006 21:05

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'<emailaddress_snip>' on 25/02/2006 21:06
554 <snip.plus.com[<snipped_IP>]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Do I have to point all outgoing mail to plusnet's servers or something?

Its just i dont want everything to come from my plusnet email account lol

Regards
Nath.
9 REPLIES
N/A

All outgoing mail from a server run on a PlusNet IP should go through relay.plus.net, it will still originate from your SMTP host though, not from your PlusNet e-mail account.
Have a read of this. I think there's something on the UserTools website too, or at least they're used to be.
Hope this helps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Yes you do need to put your outgoing smtp server to "relay.plus.net" even for non Plusnet accounts
I am going to have to try typing faster :lol:
JonathanW
Grafter

Error 554 generally means that there is something wrong with the data being passed back and forth between your client and the smtp server in question.

People are able to run their own SMTP email servers, or make use of third party ones. As such, I'd suggest either contacting the people responsible for the server that you are running, or trying a different email client.
tarquel
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply's guys Smiley

I'm not running a smtp server here [in my house] - Im sending the email [in the outgoing tab] to smtp.mydomainname.net

The smtp server is provided by the web / domain host.

Cant seem to find anything regarding that on the plusnet help and support.

Cheers
Nath
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Maybe I can get in quicker this time.
What you are doing is no different in principle to what I do with my Freeserve account. i can't send e-mails using their server but I can receive them from their server hence outgoing e-mails must use the Plusnet e-mail server
N/A

Ah, okay. In that case, what Jon said Smiley
I'm able to use a variety of smtp servers other than PlusNet's for outgoing mail, so there could be a problem with the server you are trying to use, or your mail client configuration. That said, you should still be able to use PlusNet's relay for sending e-mail from the account.
tarquel
Grafter

its unlikely because i've tried it with two different domains and the same thing happens :S

What would be the point in having email facilities with a host if you couldnt send email's from your domain name? It looks very unprofessional using a different email address than the one the person has sent the rmail to.

In my particular case, I've ordered something and need to email them [preferably with the same account] as there is a slight problem. I'm going to have to hope they understand why I'm about to use my hotmail adress, but its stupid if i have to have all email coming from my broadband connection with my plusnet details Sad

Hope that makes more sense as to what the problem is hehe

Nath.
JonathanW
Grafter

It is possible that its still down to the configuration of your email client.

That being said, it is possible to configure your email client to pass email through smtp.plus.net and still have it appear that its coming from you@yourdomain.com even if that domain isn't on our name servers.

I'd still also suggest contacting the people responsible for the server that you are using, as they could be experiencing issues at the moment, or have had similar things happen in the past and know what to suggest.
tarquel
Grafter

I'd still also suggest contacting the people responsible for the server that you are using, as they could be experiencing issues at the moment, or have had similar things happen in the past and know what to suggest.

I would - only its been like this since i had broadband [just over a year] and just havent got around to sorting it out yet.

Both domains are hosted by fasthosts, and are advanced mails that [allegedly] support smtp sending, so it should work fine [used to anyhow].

lol My Exchange server at work was easy to setup in comparrison to this lol Wink

Thanks for the replies.
Nath