cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router v modem

N/A

router v modem

im new to all this.im using a usb modem.i can request a free router from plusnet if i want to.my modem is working fine.so is it best left well alone or would it benefit me to get my router?
what can i do with a router that i cant do with my speedtouch modem.any help would be greatfully received.
many thanks.
gary.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

router v modem

Hi I've just gone through the same decision process as yourself. I'd got a working broadband modem but decided to take advantage of the free BT Voyager 210 when I switched to broadband Your Way option 1.

The big advantage for me is that I'm achieving a much more reliable sync rate and my download speeds have increased accordingly. There are also security benefits as a router will hide your computer from the outside world.

You may find this thread interesting reading http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55747.

Bob
HellFire
Grafter

router v modem

I never knew anyone still use modems.

A router has a hardware firewall and a lot of them are wireless, they normally have 4 ports meaning you can plug 4 PC’s and/or games consoles in and you don’t need to dial like on a modem since a router is always connected even without a PC.
Aterlatus
Grafter

router v modem

The other big advantage is the overhead of maintaining the hardware/connection (CPU/RAM useage) is taken off your computer and onto the router, so it frees up more resources for playing your favourite games and what not Smiley