cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rollover allowance?

N/A

rollover allowance?

I notice that n*****m are implementing a rollover policy on their peak time usage - which is incidentally 50gb!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (embarrassed plusnet?)

So why can't plusnet implement a rollover allowance if (and thats a big if ) no-one gets to their peak time 10gb.
11 REPLIES
willhome
Grafter

rollover allowance?

it would be intresting if they did such thing.

also i love your sig. because even i signed up to fair use policy and been here alot longer then you
Community Veteran

rollover allowance?

Been asked / suggested many times.

PlusNet say 'No'.

The way the current systems work, it wold involve a great deal of development time on many of the core systems, including the billing system and at the moment this is not worth doing.

If you think about it, it does not actually give any benefit to PN and actualy may loose money so I doubt they would get the time/resources to do it from management anyway.
N/A

rollover allowance?

silly me. Doesn't give any benefit to PN!!

And I thought the focus was meant to be the customer.
Community Veteran

rollover allowance?

But it would give benefit if people saw as a bonus to the normal run of the mill account and signed up in droves Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

rollover allowance?

Hi,

With a hard cap this is probably a fairly simple thing to set up, but then why doesn't every ISP that has a hard cap set it up to rollover?

The usage allowances on our accounts aren't hard caps, just points where at peak times traffic will get slower. So how would you want something like this to work? Rollover unused peak time usage from the first 10GB, if you reached level 1 but not level 2 would you want the remaining level 1 usage carrying over?

How long should usage carry over? Just one month or several months or forever? Does it apply to every account type or just PAYG or just Premier for example?

I do personally think there's a good idea here and by all means I'm happy to raise it, I think though it needs refining and it's the sort of thing that would need a lot of development time so would need to be done in a way that would be a benefit to both customers and PlusNet.
Community Veteran

rollover allowance?

If you are serious about putting this forward then I would suggest as a starting point that if a user has not used beyond 9GB of the 10GB peak time then they are awarded an extra GB on the next billing month.
This would just roll over on each month so that anyone who has what now will be upto 11GB in the can use that without getting put on Level one.

This will give people who are not heavy users a buffer should they occasionaly go just over the 10GB and do wonders for Plusnets Name. Smiley
N/A

rollover allowance?

I agree.

After all, it's plusnet that has created the silly dlowdown between 10 and 15gb. Nildram have a pure 50gb peak time usage and by golly it looks tempting (says he as he approaches 12 months at plusnet)
N/A

rollover allowance?

@Dave and while you are at it, don't forget the old PAYG chestnut of rolling over any GBs (whole or partial) that remain unused at month end ...
N/A

rollover allowance?

I actually agree on this point.

Having been asked to look at an isp just recently I was taken aback by their rather strange setup.
Not only were peak hours the same as office hours, but the limits were strange also.

Here is the idea, what if every account came with a 10GB floating limit. So what happens is for eg on Premier option1

You get A 10gb allowance prior to shaping. Why not offer that 10gb and perhaps a floating 5gb meaning they can do 10GB + 5gb before they are shaped. However if say in month 1 they use 13GB they roll only 2GB over into month 2 leaving them with a max of 12GB to use unshaped.

If they then use all this up they have had it and only have the 10GB in months following.

On the flip side if they use say 8GB in month 2 2GB is then put back onto the floating limit brining it back up to 4GB out of a max possible 5GB.

It does work very much along the same lines as suggested above but with a slight twist of having the extra bw already available from the off.

Perhaps worth a though and perhaps im talking nonsense.
N/A

rollover allowance?

I'd imagine that the system that would most suit PlusNet and probably customers too would be an option to pay a set amount extra to lift the management when you hit a limit. For example, if a user hits a level of management where their line speed for certain protocols is reduced, they could pay a set amount to give them another few GB of usage. This is something that the systems in place are likely designed to allow, albeit with some extra work. It does depend on the bandwidth being available though, which is where the move to LLU comes in.
N/A

rollover allowance?

@Dave and while you are at it, don't forget the old PAYG chestnut of rolling over any GBs (whole or partial) that remain unused at month end ...

I agree; this could be addressed much easier than the other accounts, not forgetting that the PAYG customers have paid a premium already for their GB's. Smiley