cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

right i'am off after 4 years

N/A

Been a broadband customer of plusnet for 4 years , has been the only broadband isp ive had and quite frankly tonight is the final nail in the coffin for me.

used to download a fair bit but stopped and very very rarely download anything at all now. got home from work and decided to download vista rc2... current speed is at 10 kb /sec via FTP. i've not used up my peak time usage or whatever current naming scheme theyre using for the cap so theres no reason for it to be so slow. so time to get looking for a new provider as the service i'am currently getting seems to be useless for anything except web browseing, and that is dog slow.

thankyou for the intial few years of being a brillant ISP, i think i must have had about 2 problems if that during the entire time, but the last year has quite frankly been poor.

so goodbye plusnet.
16 REPLIES
alexwaddell
Dabbler

Step back and think rationally...are you the only person downloading Vista RC2? I think not...
N/A

yes as i wget'd it from the MS site onto my server in telehouse and then tried to download it via ftp, i'am not downloading it from the MS site. on the occassions ive tried to download anything on my connection the speeds have been all over the place. the problem is with plusnet, i downloaded from my server today at work on our business line and speeds were fine.
N/A

I downloaded Vista RC2 yesterday and got well over 500KB/sec (thats bytes, not bits, for the people feeling in a particularly sarcastic mood). Not bad for a weekend !

Vista RC2 actually seems almost like a retail product now, although I still fail to see anything to make it a "Must have" as of yet. There's a few nice extras, but nothing that most people don't have in XP via third party software.

Drivers are lacking at the moment, too... Sad

Good job it's only on a laptop, and not my main machine.
shellsong
Grafter

I downloaded a Knoppix iso yesterday and initially tried a mirror at Kent University and cancelled because it was going at 13 KB/s and falling and I couldn't be bothered to wait 16+ hours!

I tried again a bit later with a Belgian University mirror and it started at over 100 KB/s, rapidly dropped to 25 KB/s then after about 20 minutes rose swiftly to over 120 KB/s and completed about 25 minutes later-- might have been euro-beddybyes time though!
craiglay
Grafter

Like squidgey I too was downloading at about 600KB/s at peak time on ftp!! (What was I thinking... now got to tone down my peak time use) Then again, hit 300KB/s on bittorrent the other night...

Its very nice, but its not really wowing me to go out and buy it yet.
N/A

it would be nice to get speeds like that... when my line was first upgraded to max dsl speeds were ok (i was one of the earlier done due to beign an older customer) but lately its been shocking and i suspect i may have been moved to an LLU product as my exchange is tiscali LLU enabled. another reason i suspect this is my router loses connection/sync quite alot, at least once or twice every 2 days.

how do i find out if i have been moved?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Two ways seem to be:

(a) If your upload sync is higher than 448 (check your router or modem stats).

(b) Performing a BT Speed Test which doesn't work on LLU.
N/A

my upload sync is 448 Kbps, cant do the bt speed test as i'am at work but i'll try it later.
N/A

Not quite on topic but did you have to pay for your beta?

If so would you like to spare me the cost and share it with me?

I heard that MS decided to charge £1.50 for it and got over a million downloads, can't be bad for them!
N/A

Step back and think rationally...are you the only person downloading Vista RC2? I think not...

Alex, think before you type next time. comments like yours are just typical of people who don't want to help or just annoy, and this is the sort of reply I would expect from plusnet (but worded abit better.

Just because a user is trying to download a popular file, it does not mean he should be getting crap speeds.

I will guarantee that any file which is downloading at pathetic speeds for a plusnet customer, will be downloading at lighting fast speeds for a zen customer (99.9% of the time), and there is a reason for this, work it out for yourself.
alexwaddell
Dabbler

If you look at cybertrek's post after my original one, you will see that he was trying to download from his own server in telehouse - so it may well be down to Plusnet.

As you know there are many variables at play here - it might actually be a BT exchange issue, it might be plusnet, it might be his connection is constantly retraining and needs to be interleaved (been there, had that, got interleaved, now got a rock solid connection and speeds are fine).

Hey, I'm no Plusnet fanboy, I just can't understand why Plusnet always get the blame - easy target I suppose.....
N/A

Ok Alex, pleased to hear you are no fanboy, as there seems to be a few of them.

And Plusnet are the first target because we are their customers and we pay them for the service.

I have worked in customer service and customers are not interested in whose fault the problem is, they just want it solved by the company who is providing them with the service.

And remember, ISP's always try and blame customers equipment or BT when problems occur, as they always want to pass off the problem to someone else.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Download 4 linux ISO's today - took not much over 1 hour so speeds seem absolutely fine. I was downloading from http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk using GetRight. I'm on PAYG.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alexwaddell
Dabbler

I can understand Plusnet being the target and I agree that as customers we should not really care where the problem is - just that Plusnet accept they ow the problem and be accountable for getting it resolved for us.

As customers we have been told by Plusnet, BT, magazines and numerous other sources that there are multiple areas where things could go horribly wrong with MaxDSL.

If our expectations are set in terms of the service that MaxDSL provides then, at the end of the day, as customers we should not complain excessively and react hastily.

Knowing how networks, servers, email, dns, voip and adsl works makes it very easy to say all this - I'm sure I'm not alone, however if you knew how BT make some of it all hang together you would be truly shocked (do you remember 486 chips?).

I'm still amazed ADSL actually works in this country given the shocking state of the underlying BT copper network.

Cheers,

Alex.