cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relay.plus.net doesn't create bounces for some people

N/A

If you use an email address that isn't owned by plusnet, and use plusnet's email server (relay.plus.net) to send your emails, you won't receive bounces.

This means your emails might not get through, and you'd have no way of knowing about it.

Plusnet may consider fixing this (it would involve changing their settings to allow bounces for those of us using the server from within the plusnet network).

I'm publicising this a) so people in this situation realise their emails may be being lost and b) to see how many other people are affected by this and whether plusnet might be persuaded to fix it!
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hmm, never noticed that before. I'm not sure if it's by design so I've raised it as an internal problem (ref 45093) for the network guys to have a look into.
N/A

I did raise this myself (ref 22295607 where it appeared out of a different problem) and sadly it's eventually turned out it is by design - despite basically making relay.plus.net useless as a reliable method of email delivery for anyone using a non-plusnet-hosted address.

However, it's a pain in the backside (not to mention against RFC2821) and I'd love if it could be fixed!
MrToast
Grafter

I was not aware of this non-compliant behaviour at PN.

My usage hasn't relied on this so far. I commonly use someone elses Pipex connection with PN addresses and Pipex get this aspect right.

I agree it should be fixed though.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

We may look at changing this if it causes a major problem, may be worth adding to PUGIT so other people can vote on it.
N/A

Ah!

It had never crossed my mind that this was the case, I've just realised it is. I'll have to have a think how I need to work round it for myself.

As for tracking on Pugit I need to understand which of all these forums is for what and have just signed up there. If someone starts it properly before I've worked out what I have to do, I'll vote for it to be "fixed".

Alistair
MrToast
Grafter

We may look at changing this if it causes a major problem, ...

Well, newlay has already said:

However, it's a pain in the backside (not to mention against RFC2821) and I'd love if it could be fixed!

So, I think the position is, if I judge the expression correctly, that this is a major problem for newlay and no doubt anyone else who uses the PN relays for sending from non PN addresses.

The question is: Why is the action of the PN relay not standard (RFC's being the closest thing we have here) and why can't it be fixed.
N/A

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=340

I've added the problem to PUGIT (hopefully correctly!) so feel free to post any comments and votes there.