cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regular ADSL disconnection

N/A

Although my broadband connection seems to more or less work during the day, for the last week or so it regularly disconnects or refuses to work completely in the evening. Is this anything to do with the recent probs and work? The service status page says the disconnection problems have been resolved.

The LED light on the modem to signify a connection regularly goes out, and the IP address in the modem set up is replaced by a row of hyphens.

I'm currently stuck in the 20th century and using 0845 - which I'm PAYING for.

Is this a problem with the f9 servers, or is it just me? If it is, how come it works part of the day then hangs at night? And if it is an f9 problem, will they be reducing the subscription since I'm not getting the service I'm paying for?
44 REPLIES
N/A

fI'm experiencing similar problems. :?
N/A

can either of you paste the line readings from the router / modem.

I put my disconnect after being regraded down to poor Signal to noise ratio the other day (dropped to arround 13 db and dropped)

could be that the line has been streched beyond what it can take. :shock:

*edit* see the usertools here

http://usertools.force9.net/tutorials/id/12
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

Hi there,

There are no service wide issues that would result in the above. I suggest you raise a ticket on your account and we will test your line.

When raising your ticket please ensure you answer all of the following questions as BT require the answers should we need to escalate your fault to them.

1. Does the loss of connection occur only at
certain times of the day or is it continuous?
(If only at certain times, please state the time.)

2. How long has the problem been occurring
for, when did it start?

3. What are you doing at the time of the fault?
(e.g. downloading large files/Does it only drop when idle?)

4. When the connection drops is sync lost on the
modem/router?
(i.e does the ADSL link light start flashing or does remain solid green)

5. Do you have any other equipment on the line
that may affect service, such as a fax machine?

6. Is the PSTN service OK?

7. Have you connected the PC/modem/router to the master telephone
socket leaving all other equipment disconnected
to see if the problem still happens ?

8. Have you tested the connection using another modem/router?

9. Has the microfilter been changed
to prove if it is a problem ?

It's also recommended that you leave your equipment on for the duration of the fault so we can test your line.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Disconnections are terrible today

Hi fellow disconectees

I too am having a devil of a time maintaining a connection today.
I am lucky if I can get 5 minitues up - been going on since middle of the night.

I already have an long standing ongoing open ticket on this.

However today is the worst I have ever experienced so far.
Seems my noise margin is fluctuating

These are my stats about 5 mins ago
Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 2.4 dB 26.0 dB
Line Attenuation 37.0 dB 24.0 dB
Output Power 18.6 dBm 11.9 dBm

These are what they are normally
Noise Margin 19.9 dB 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 36.5 dB 24.0 dB
Output Power 17.5 dBm 11.9 dBm

Ven
N/A

f9 broadband problems

Hello, I am the same.

Was upgraded on Monday to 2mb premier, and has not worked since.

Connection drops (sync light on router) ever 30secs to 1 min, however what is strange is that at 6am this morning, and yesterday, the connection seems to stay online, however when I get home at 6pm at night, back to the same, no connection!

This ticket has been open since Monday, and I have done all what f9 has asked me to do via contact us, for example, disconnected everything, plug the router into the BT Socket… and so on….

However the one thing its starting to be annoying me is, no one has even contact me to ever say what is happening or what their doing about it... I need to keep phoning them, and get stuck on the phone for ages until it’s answered.

First of all, I would like to know if this to do with the upgrade takes place on the line.

Second, when is this likely to be fixed?

I been with f9 for a about 4 years now, and I think the service is great, however this time, is total rubbish! - No one at Customer services seems to know what’s happening!!!

Moan over! Cheers F9

Thanks Jeremy.
Cheesy
N/A

Try lifting your telephone handset

Hi again

The next time you lose synch try lifting your telephone handset untill you get the message "Please replace the handset and try again".

I have found that this seems to work when I am getting disconnected because of a poor noise margin.

I just tried it myself (see my post above for my line statistics prior to doing this) and the connection now seems steady and my current line statistics are back to normal:
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Noise Margin 20.9 dB 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 36.5 dB 24.0 dB
Output Power 18.3 dBm 11.9 dBm

Please post if you find that this tactic works.

Ven
N/A

I can offer a few tips here, i actually live exactly 4.65 km from my exchange. I have had 2mbit for about 6 months now and at first i did have a few problems. But i now have the adsl on a seperate line with no other phones connected and i use a gold plated rj-11 cable for the modem connection, so i would ensure you have as low a number of phones etc connected at any one time. My stats are as follows:

--------------------------Downstream--------Upstream
SNR Margin (dB):---------17.4---------------28.0
Attenuation (dB):----------37.5---------------27.0
Output Power (dBm):----11.9---------------17.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps):-4544--------------1148
Rate (Kbps):---------------2272---------------288

Now i don't know about you lot but i personally feel this is amazing for my distance from the exchange...
N/A

Quick question, i have never used a filter on the router for my connection, however now i have 2mb, which connects sometimes during the night.

Would a filter help the connection to become more stable.

Jeremy
N/A

Filters?

Hi Jeremy,

Perhaps I'm missing something here? or I'm just very confused but unless I am mistaken if you use a router connected to your ADSL enabled phone line a filter is essential. How else will you connect and get ADSL??, the splitter or line filter IS what actually creates braodband itself, in the sense that ADSL is made up of x3 channels 1) for voice calls normal phone calls 2) uplink channel for data 3) downlink channel for data.

**It doesnt matter which line speed you have a filter is required.

Ivan
N/A

some routers do have a built in filter though, but yes you need a filter either way.
N/A

The filter acts in a similar way to the crossover in audio loudspeakers.
Imagine that your ADSL connection is the tweeter and the normal phone line is the woofer. The filter splits the frequency so the woofer only receives low frequency signals and the tweeter only receieves high frequencies.
Now imagine that you don't fit a filter / crossover - the speakers will still get a signal, but the woofer will sound distorted and can't produce the full frequency range signal, the tweeter has probably just been blown apart with the low frequencies.

In essence, it may still work, but the added interference or crosstalk would severely hamper the stability of the connection.

Does that make any sense to anyone or have I just confused the issue totally ? :?
N/A

Filters

Thanks for that toothcritter, see you learn something new each day!! Cheers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ivan
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

The filter acts in a similar way to the crossover in audio loudspeakers.
Imagine that your ADSL connection is the tweeter and the normal phone line is the woofer. The filter splits the frequency so the woofer only receives low frequency signals and the tweeter only receieves high frequencies.
Now imagine that you don't fit a filter / crossover - the speakers will still get a signal, but the woofer will sound distorted and can't produce the full frequency range signal, the tweeter has probably just been blown apart with the low frequencies.

In essence, it may still work, but the added interference or crosstalk would severely hamper the stability of the connection.

Does that make any sense to anyone or have I just confused the issue totally ? :?

What a lovely analogy Smiley

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

It definitely seems to be an evening thing - it's fine during the day. I just tried plugging directly into the master socket (the one underneath the BT plate) and it's working - didn't last time I tried - but fingers crossed!

So could it be a combination of attached extensions causing signal noise and a busy network at night? Or something else that causes line noise that is picked up by extensions?

Looks like I might have to rewire extensions out of the one splitter on the master socket so the master line isn't getting clouded.