cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

regrade complete?? very slow performance

loony
Grafter

i never received an email from PN telling me i was being regraded.

the line sync for Max DSL appears to have stopped testing and now my speedtest results are very poor.
tried rebooting reconnecting etc.

whats the next step? im sure it has been over 14 days.
do i contact CS/TS now and raise a ticket?

my router says i am synced at between 4.8 and 6.5 Mbps download and upload around 356 to 448

Adslguide and PN speedtest give similar results.

Router stats
Channel Bit Rate(Kbps) 5368 448
Relative Capacity Occupation(%) 97 59
Noise Margin(dB) 16.5 17.0
Output Power(dBm) 20.0 12.0
Attenuation(dB) 16.0 11.0
41 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

When did you receive your regrade. The first 10 days or so can be slow and unstable.

Have a read of this, it'll probably help to explain everything for you. There is also a video provided by BT Wholesale which is pretty good.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/getready.shtml?link=suptop5_bb1
loony
Grafter

like i said i didnt receive an email from plusnet and very rarely do tbh.

it must be more than(all last week and into the week before) 10 days that my connection has been unstable/regrading.
i requested the regrade 2 or more months ago but havent received any confirmation of when this would happen.

its currently sitting at 4.5 Mb DL and has been for the past 7 1/2 hours.
yet my DL speeds are less than 250Kbps

Liam
Grafter

Are you using a modem or router? Are you wired or wireless?

What do you get on a speedtest at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk ?
loony
Grafter

4 port wireless modem/router is a safecom SWAMRU-54108, my network is wired with an 8 port switch running 2 pc's and a laptop.the router is wireless but that is disabled atm.

that speed test comes back with 276 Kbps DL and 364 Kbps UL

this is not a complaint btw, just seeing if i need to do something my end or contact PNCS.

i replaced the microfilter with a new one 2 days ago.
i got my friend to send me his email from plusnet explaining the regrade proceedure.

2 plusnet members i have signed up are getting average 6 Mbps DL off the same exchange(NDCLI)as me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Can I suggest a couple of things.
What does this give as your stable speed http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Assuming it doesn't give the same stupidly low figure can you run the BT Speedtest as described here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm
If the stable rate is silly then PlusNet need to get onto BT to get a BRAS report and if necessary get it fixed.
If the stable rate is OK and the BT speedtest is also very low then something is very badly wrong. If your neighbours don't have the problem it is unlikely to be contention.
If the BT speedtest is OK then there is a problem at PlusNet's end.
Liam
Grafter

Can you also try wired directly into the router? I had a similar issue myself but when I'm wired it seems to work fine.
loony
Grafter

Can I suggest a couple of things.
What does this give as your stable speed http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
Assuming it doesn't give the same stupidly low figure can you run the BT Speedtest as described here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm
If the stable rate is silly then PlusNet need to get onto BT to get a BRAS report and if necessary get it fixed.
If the stable rate is OK and the BT speedtest is also very low then something is very badly wrong. If your neighbours don't have the problem it is unlikely to be contention.
If the BT speedtest is OK then there is a problem at PlusNet's end.

ok the stable rate is 2000 Kbps

i tried the bt tester and it came back with my username doesnt match the query sent by speedtester!??
also a couple of errors about tap1 user??

doesnt it say that it only works with IPstream? i thought i would be connected to Plus(tis)cali, or am i wrong there?
when the regrade was happening the router stats said the UL was 448 indicating tiscali?

@liam, the switch is just part of my network the 2 main PC's are directly connected to the router.
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

Your line is not on Tiscali. It's provided over the BT network.

Have you checked your exchange congestion? http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php?page=support/linecheck

Your stable rate is set quite low. Has there been any connection instability?
loony
Grafter

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3680 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 221 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

ok i followed the instructions to the letter and it works with my pellatt2004@plusdsl.net username

yes there has been a lot of instability due to the regrade i assummed but before that it was very good.
loony
Grafter

exchange status

Bandwith status : GREEN
Due to be upgraded : Not planned
Information updated : 21/8/2006
Liam
Grafter

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3680 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 221 kbps

This is what's killing it. BT are limiting your connection to a maximum of 283kbps. Unfortunately this is not something we can just change.

You need to reboot your equipment daily until this figure adjusts itself up to be in line with your stable rate. If after 10 days this does not happen then we can raise a fault with BT.
loony
Grafter

what, ten days more rebooting ?
Liam
Grafter

If you reboot once or twice a day for upto 10 days it should force the dynamic line management at the exchange to up your IP Profile (BRAS) setting. That is unless it connects at a low speed for some reason on one or more of those occasions.

If nothing happens after 10 days then we can raise it as a fault. But rebooting usually prompts the system to up the profile.
loony
Grafter

ok cheers