cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

referral farce

N/A

referral farce

I've just signed up and was referred by a friend. During the process, there was no point at which I was asked to enter who my referrer was. The name of someone I do not know and have never contacted appeared as my referrer. When I rang your helpdesk to change this to the actual referrer the person I spoke to suggested that this would be difficult but gave me the impression that it was possible. He also suggested I raise a ticket which I did.

I have now discovered that I had some cookie on my computer that auto-generated this person's name as the referrer. I believe that this sort of thing is commonly referred to as hacking at worst, flawed software at best. I therefore suggest you re-write your sign up pages so that a) complete strangers don't benefit from others signing up and b) Everyone under all circumstances has the opportunity to add their own referrer.

I have some considerable experience using computers and the web and I've never come across this sort of thing before. If I can do this I'm quite sure that many others will have done so probably without even realising it.

If you are unable to resolve this perhaps you would be good enough to provide sufficient detail so that my friend and I can benefit in the same way that some complete stranger has.
9 REPLIES
N/A

referral farce

Hi,

Our referral system works using one of 3 methods:

1) You specify the username of the person who referred you during the signup process.

2) You receive an e-mail from a current customer containing a link to signup. This places a cookie on your machine for approximately 2 weeks and if you signup in this time period then whoever sent you the link gets the referral.

3) You click on a banner placed by a current customer on their website. Again this activates a cookie on your machine.

If either option 2 or 3 apply then this negates option 1, you wouldn't have the option to specify a referrer. The reason we provide these options is for our customers to gain more benefit from the referral scheme and make it more user-friendly for all parties. Cookies are a secure, efficient way of doing this.

For a cookie to be placed on your machine you must have clicked on a signup link or banner prior to signing up. We may be able to amend the details of who referred you and I note you have re-escalated your ticket request to the support centre, this will be looked into and your situation accomodated if possible.
Community Veteran

referral farce

If you have gone through a banner add at some point it will come up during the signup process saying you have been referred by "Joe Bloggs" for example.
You are given the choice to change this at that time and are also warned that you cannot change your refferal details at a later date..

Chris
N/A

referral farce

Refering to the original post, why should Customer support suggest to a new signup customer that he raise a ticket on the subject. This gives a bad impression to a new customer - - - surely this is not a good thing, especially when he is supposed to be talking to the support people at the time !!!!!!!!!
Community Veteran

referral farce

For accountability reasons.

Otherwise what would stop me from phoning up support and telling them that I am you and want to change my refferal to me.

The support process should always be driven through contact us in my opinion otherwise you get people claiming they have / haven't done things.
This of course excludes technical help or explaining complex issues.

Chris
N/A

referral farce

With pipex, if you refer someone, you get one months internet free, so if you refer 5 people in 2 weeks, you get 5 months on the net for free.

Cry
N/A

referral farce

Yes, but after 5 months, thats it, gone.

With +Net, provided you both remain customers, you get the referal for life.

With +Net, you would need to collect 22 referals (assuming ADSL Home Self-install on your and all referals). This would means free internet provided you all remain with +Net. THis can go on for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, unlimited years.

The same from Pipex would means after 22 referals, you only get 22 months (less than 2 years). You still have to keep collecting to remain free.

While you don't need to keep collecting with +Net, you can do. In which case you topup in case of losing a referal. However, the more you get, you actualy start receiving money from +Net.
N/A

referral farce

I'm not sure where you get 22 referrals from to get the internet free. I thought you only got 50 pence per month for an adsl home self install.

Broadband Broadband EasyStart £0.00
Broadband DSL Netstart £1.00
Broadband DSL Home £0.50
Broadband DSL Home (Self-Install) £0.50
Broadband DSL Business £3.00
Broadband DSL Business (Self-Install) £3.00
Broadband DSL Home Surf £0.00
Broadband DSL Biz Surf £0.00

That would mean you would need to pull out 44 referrals to get the internet free, and hope none of them left.
N/A

referral farce

True, I had looked at the price of netstart.
N/A

referrals

Thanks to everyone who replied to this. There are a number of points I would like to make.

Firstly, during the signup process - There was at no time an option for me to specify (or change) the referrer. I certainly didn't receive a link from the person who did refer me, this suggests that I somehow - unwittingly - clicked on something that placed a cookie onto my computer - to be honest this suggests to me that I need to be far more careful about the cookies I allow onto my machine.

The support team have now told me that they will be able to change my referrer to the correct one. and I am grateful for that, particularly as I have a number of people who will sign up with me as their referrer. My greatest concern with this will be ensuring that they don't repeat what I did. If at any point I was given an oportunity to change my referrer would have done.

I agree that it was dissapointing to ring Customer Services as a new customer only to be told to raise a ticket, however I appreciate the reasons behind this now. To be honest I rang them within minutes of signing up.

steve