cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really need help

N/A

really need help

hey all, i am stumped by this problem i have with my 2 pcs and my internet, on my main pc [this one] iget download speeds of only 12 to 30kbps, on my crappy pc i get download speeds between 56 to 90kbps, the older one connects to this one to get to the net, how is it possible to get terrible speeds on this one and great on other,

ps. i tried downloading the same files on both pcs and the times in this pc were stupid, like 3 hrs for 30mg
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

really need help

Do you have a software firewall installed? If so disable it to see if it is the cause.

The same goes for any virus scanners.
kwhawell
Grafter

really need help

is it possible that internet connection sharing (ICS) could affect downloads on the pc to which it is applied? I'm assuming you have the pcs configured this way, I know it sounds a bit silly does this one, but I remember having similar problems with 2 pcs I had, my main one used to be the host, and we had a packard bell as the client, the only thing you did with that pc was to, tell it where it should go for connection to the net, using the main faster pc as a gateway, because the main pc was acting as a gateway for the slower unit, it halved the bandwidth it could use, but some rather weird thing used to happen, that caused the slave pc to get decent speed, I think that could be due to the way they were connected. a possible solution to the problem you have, is to get a router, and connect both pcs through it, to obtain direct internet access to them, if you share files, and printers, and the like you can still do this with a router, as far as I know, anyone know about this?

ps sorry about the way I posted this, it's difficult to explain it propperly
N/A

really need help

i think i know what you mean...im not to sure about the set up though its like this (oldpc)--->(Newpc)--->modem--->socket, i turned off firewalls and antivirus and still slow speed, but i think its the othre idea about the bandwidth, im gonna try to get my dad to getr a wireless router anyway, i wanna use my PSP on the net, thx for the info, ill look into it more tomorow