cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"bursty" network traffic

N/A

"bursty" network traffic

hi all
we've got a vpn running from our adsl to another isp, and recently the traffic between them has been quite bad - very bursty - type a bit and wait for it to appear. I've run tests and the problem also exists from my home account to this one over vpn so a possible plusnet problem - does anyone else have anything similar or is it just me?
cheers Sad
8 REPLIES
N/A

"bursty" network traffic

as an update - looks like our SNR is all over the place. one minute it's 12 then it's 0. Our settings are SNR: 12 Loop:53 and we run 1Mb (quite a way from anywhere!). anyone know how i can improve these readings?
cheers!!!
JonathanW
Grafter

"bursty" network traffic

Best thing to do would be to get the modem/router connected as closely to the master socket as possible, to see if that improves matters at all. You might also wish to try it with nothing else connected, to ensure that there's nothing else on the line causing problems.
N/A

"bursty" network traffic

cheers Jon
I'm now really confused, as the router is now showing SNR of 23.5 and stable!
It's plugged into the master socket directly with nothing else. What would cause it to fluctuate so much at times? Would it be worth me fitting a new router/filter, or is this a BT problem?
cheers for your help!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

"bursty" network traffic

Do you know anyone you could borrow a router & filter for a couple of hours (may be swap and see if the problem follows your kit)? That way you can be certain there's nothing wrong at your end.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

"bursty" network traffic

thanks elvin, yes we can get hold of another complete kit so will give that a go!
flyer99
Grafter

"bursty" network traffic

Since my MAXdsl upgrade my SNR has changed from a steady 20-21 to anything from 4 to 12. Also my line attenuation has dropped from 30 to 26. These are both down stream figures as upstream has remained the same. The modem has synced at 8MB / 448kps and has not changed since even after reboots and resets. I belive there is nothing wrong with your kit and the issue seems to arise from the new MAXadsl kit and the way it works. It uses RADSL (rate adaptive) as apposed to ADSl which is fixed at a predetermined rate. In theory taking the new figures from my modem I would be getting a degraded service but currently all works as before apart from I used to have no CRC errors but now have many. I am sure if people had a before and after set of figures they will seem similar results. A few people I have checked with see similar results. My profile at the exchange has yet to change but I am waiting for the 10 days to finish to see what happens then
N/A

"bursty" network traffic

I'm not aware we're on MaxDSL? (can a CSR let me know if we are?). We are a long way from the exchange though so that wont help. Raised a call and BT looking into it...
flyer99
Grafter

"bursty" network traffic

Sorry for the assumption. You can at least check your exchange here
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/checker.php
You get more info if you enter your postcode