Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Undelivered Mail" spam

ratbag
Grafter

"Undelivered Mail" spam

Hello,
Having thought I'd finally sorted out the spam mess, I've now started getting spam that is -- or is made to appear as though -- it was undeliverable and has been returned to me. The subject line is "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" and the destination address always ends in ".de". The 'to' line is a made up name at my plusnet domain.

The source includes: filename="detail invoice31455.zip" or similar, followed by a chunk of what I assume is binary code.

My question is this: Is some creature sending out viruses, mailware, spyware Etc. and making it appear as though it's coming from my plusnet domain?

This is more disturbing than just getting junk.
Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES
ratbag
Grafter

"Undelivered Mail" spam

Sorry, I should have read through more posts before posting.
Just seen this post:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57715

The return address is always different, and I got into the habit of using the site or forum name as my email address whenever I join any forum or shop online so it would be a problem to disable the catch-all. Oh well.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

"Undelivered Mail" spam

You could disable the catchall though if you did this you would need to create individual mailboxes for each of the email accounts that you use (or an alias for each one, all pointing to a single mailbox) though I appreciate that this would be awkward.

Sorry about the hassle, hope this helps,
ratbag
Grafter

"Undelivered Mail" spam

Matt,
I think you posted that before seeing my previous post, but thanks anyway.

If I were starting again I'd create a white-list of recipients or something and delete everything else, it's the only way.
spinecho
Grafter

"Undelivered Mail" spam

Hi

ie White list of recipients.

Norton Antispam does this as well as other things like this.

You could probably also set up rules in outlook etc.

Francis.