cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"ToucanTalk"

tigercub
Dabbler

"ToucanTalk"

Does anyone have experience of Toucan vs.BT for standard phone line?
Just had a knock at the door oferring me £8.99 a month line rental instead of BT's £11. I already use "1899" for all calls (http://www.call1899.co.uk/index2.php) but still tempted to reduce costs even further on line rental.
Don't want to switch from PlusNet for ADSL (quite happy) so need reassurance that I'm still OK without a BT line.
Any advice/experience appreciated.
Thanks
Pete
11 REPLIES
N/A

"ToucanTalk"

yea, my mum is on toucan and will NOT change to any other service as it is fantasticly great (her words).

only problems we have is with our BB line but that hasnt anything to do with toucan.
tigercub
Dabbler

"ToucanTalk"

Thanks...but has your BB line ever worked Ok with Toucan? I'm just scared to disrupt a line that works and wonder if there's a chance of problems when converting?
carrot63
Grafter

"ToucanTalk"

I'd personally avoid Toucan like the plague if you value your sanity at more than a quid a month. Fine if it works and they get the billing right, a rapid descent into hell if you have to avail yourself of their CS to sort out problems.
N/A

"ToucanTalk"

One thing to note that is in order to get the £8.99 rate, it's a one year contract.
N/A

"ToucanTalk"

And they don't have to provide access services (1899.com etc) and BT legally have to.

And they cold-call people on the phone so are scum.
tigercub
Dabbler

"ToucanTalk"

Thanks for the comments. You've convinced me I was right not to sign up last night before asking around. Think I'll play safe and stick with BT then.
Cheers.
Community Veteran

"ToucanTalk"

Aren't toucan owned by tiscali?
carrot63
Grafter

"ToucanTalk"

Aren't toucan owned by tiscali?

The quality of CS may make it seem so, but they are actually owned by telecoms firm IDT, started by Howard Jonas who made his fortune in phone calling cards, and I think was involved in the development of Net2phone. Toucan's broadband (and possibly dial up) is provided by Tiscali though.

And they cold-call people on the phone so are scum.

They are also one of the worst firms for "slamming", or placing markers on lines without the owner signing up to their services.So they are doubly scum.
Community Veteran

"ToucanTalk"

I concur!
We were once with Toucan for a while, with no end of problems, and not once did they get a single bill correct.
Truely bad experiance, and I would never consider returning to them. Even if they were offering next to free tarriffs, I would say no way!
newinvention
Grafter

"ToucanTalk"

Well, we've been with Toucan (phone calls only) for over a year and no probs. We signed up for the line rental too in July. Only outpoint was that they put a voicemail/answer message thingy on the line, which meant that if you were making a call and someone else tried to ring you, they got this Toucan generated answerphone - on which they duly left their message .... but we didn't know people were leaving messages until about 6 weeks later - we weren't aware of it and couldn't understand why people were saying they'd left messages and why hadn't we returned them ... apart from that hitch, they've been as good as BT and their bills are much easier to decipher!!!
N/A

"ToucanTalk"

You can tell when people have left messages because you get an intermittent dial tone when you pick up the phone.

I have had no problems with Toucan phone calls and line rental. They're about the cheapest on the market and you can see what you're spending online.